Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
*Registered
2005 SLK200
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

i started hear strange rattle noises from engine when accelerating between 2000-2200 rpm . It happens not all the time, but quite frequently. No sound on idle, or when accelerate first or second gear. The higher the gear the more chance for sound. If i accelerate slowly usually there is no sound, but on heavy load it allways appear. Noise comes only between 2000-2200 rpm, never lower, or higher.
Now i am on trip, done 4500km, still 4000km to go... Engine 271.944 M271 KE18 ML. Manual gearbox. Any ideas?

p.s. allways used normal e95 petrol, but here i france is only e95 e10 (with 10perc ethanol), maybe this is a problem :(

·
*Premium Member
2008 SLK350
3,677 Posts
If I would have to take a guess I'ld say distribution chain and/or camshaft adjusters. It is a known problem with the M271. Chain stretches and needs to be replaced,sometime even as early with 100000 km. But can't say for sure,need to have a mechanic to take a look.
Don't think it is the petrol but you can always try e98. Called sp98e5 or super sans plomb, last time I was there.

·
*Administrator (Premium Member)
42,717 Posts
Starting simple:
Check that engine covers have all of their 'plugs' and are properly in place.

Next check that any cables are still in correct position. Cable ties and retainers can break, cables not coreectly put back into place.

Battery. Check that the retaining strap is correctly bolted down (the one over the battery that stops it sliding).

Examine and compare both sides of the bonnet. Make sure that the positional clips that are meant to stop vibration are in place.

Check that front grill is secure.

All of that is free to do, just time consuming.

Then dig deeper.

·
*Premium Member
1999 SLK230 Turbo
2,249 Posts
I believe the M271 has two magnetic camshaft adjusters on the front of the head, and from what I've seen they're as reliable as the predecessors the M111 camshaft actuator. It maybe worth getting a mechanics stethoscope (very cheap online) and listen to each adjuster whilst someone holds the engine revs around that area. If either rattles it needs replacing but they're a very simple thing to replace one the driveway with no special tools.

·
*Registered
2005 SLK200
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for suggestions. In trip tried to check everythink what u wrote, but problem still persist. Just found out how to drive not using this 2k-2.2k rpm :D Now will try to give car for mechanics and inform about results.

·
*Registered
58 Posts
Try to put a little pressure with your hand on gearshift stick and see if the noise goes away (had that problem with my previous SLK200). Like i860 said, it's probably just a gearbox rattle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts