Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,857 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Absolutely mind blowing that year 1 #43 and #44 both still exist, one fully restored and the other a "mint barn find", as good as you could ever hope to find a car untouched for 50 years. Side by side will be amazing.

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Surely as rare is the Cadillac Biaritz coupe with the stainless steel roof right behind the Gullwing 300SL!

But rarer than both is the other car in the picture, the Group 44 Bob Tullius SCCA Race winning Triumph TR8,
( class win at Sebring ) there was only 2 or maybe 3 of those used in that very successful race team of the 1970s.

Tullius’ Group 44 team won 14 SCCA championships.
They raced Triumphs, Jaguars, MGs , including the XJR-5 at Le Mans for a GTP class win.
(Ref. Wikipedia)

·
Registered
634 Posts
Surely as rare is the Cadillac Biaritz coupe with the stainless steel roof right behind the Gullwing 300SL!

But rarer than both is the other car in the picture, the Group 44 Bob Tullius SCCA Race winning Triumph TR8,
( class win at Sebring ) there was only 2 or maybe 3 of those used in that very successful race team of the 1970s.

Tullius’ Group 44 team won 14 SCCA championships.
They raced Triumphs, Jaguars, MGs , including the XJR-5 at Le Mans for a GTP class win.
(Ref. Wikipedia)
Apart from rarity though, the gull wing is the best car of the lot based on looks alone.

·
Registered
634 Posts
From the looks of the interior dash pics it didnt have air, but maybe the outlets are near the window or under the dash. My guess is no since sports cars back then were more focused than our modern grand tourers, but I am not even remotely knowledgable about the mercs of that era.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I've never been a fan of super long cars, land going boats if you will. The current SL is about as long a car as I can stand and even it is a bit too long for my taste.

The old classic cars with the tail fins are pretty in their two door variants, but I'll pass on any car with more than 2 doors, from any era.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts