Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered 2005 SLK200
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of late every time I start up the motor I get an awful smell coming from the cabin air vents. The smell goes away after about 15 minutes of driving but if I stop and then start up the engine again, the smell is back. The cabin air filter was changed two weeks ago.

I want to say it smells like stagnant water but its not like a boggy pond or anything...

I plan to check the drains tomorrow as mentioned here: http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r171-class-diy/105562-drain-holes.html

I wonder if there could be some other issue? Perhaps a knock on effect from my missing rubber drain grommet from the bottom of the battery compartment or perhaps water is in this again: http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r171-general-discussion/21778-air-con-fan-noisy.html

Anyone with any ideas?

·
Registered
84 Posts
What you are describing sounds like air conditioner condensate water is not draining out of the box containing the evaporator heat-exchanger (the part that gets cold when the A/C is on). There should be a drain tube carrying it to somewhere where it can drip harmlessly onto the ground, and there may be some kind of rubber flap valve that closes the drain off when there is no water to drip out that could be clogged. Perhaps Mr Banks can find the parts diagram which shows all these components, so you could see where the problem might be; I am speaking in generic terms for most auto A/C systems, not from specific knowledge about the one in the SLK.

·
Registered 2005 SLK200
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

If any helpful kind person can post up a diagram from EPC, or something else?

Much Appreciated

·
Registered 2005 SLK200
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Paid a mate £100 to make the air-conditioning system apart...

There was a little water that wasn't draining out of the drivers side of the Air con system.
All the drains and pipes cleaned out and now there are two drips of condensate that come from the bottom of the car whilst running, which is good, i think there may have been only one previously..

Smells gone, alls good again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yay , love it when a plan comes together .

On a similar note , I have just taken delivery of my SLK , on brisk acceleration water pours from under the dash on the passenger side .
I traced that to a blocked breather , water was lapping around the top of the battery , so much for the " certainly sir , we will fully prepare the vehicle for you " slack lot .
To be fair though it wasn't a Mercedes garage .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.