Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered 2006 SLK200K
588 Posts
I hope we can pour clear water in my glass... I'd like to do the rain sensing wipers to my 2006 SLK 200.

I tried to read everything and collect all the infos about this but here is some informations which are standing the opposite side to each other:

1. The sensor:
AFAIK my car has only light sensor (it works) only my wipers doesn't wipes according to the rain's intensitivity, only the same time periods and stops when I stop the car when the button is on intermittent position.
At the same time my sensor has the 6 small black holes where the laser diodes can watch through for the rain on the windshield, see my pic.

2. The windshield:
I read in many threads I have to change my windshield if I want to retrofit light&rain sensing sensor, but in another forum (mbworld) says:
"...There is a holder on the windscreen for this combination sensor. If you already have the light sensor, then it is ready for the combination sensor without the need to replace the windscreen." by CalifSLK
AND
"I first did this mod to the earliest SLK R171.
a) Every R171 SLK can have a rain sensor installed

b) Some cars were shipping with rain sensor and no rain sensor activation (not many)

c) After battery disconnect the function is lost. Needs activation. Same for new glass. - BUSTED by few members who didn't need this many times.

d) Removing the light sensor takes 3 seconds. Removing the gel goo takes about 10 minutes if you do it with a lot of cleaning and make it very clean.

e) Installation of the upgraded sensor takes 20 seconds but be very careful to align the component.

f) Coding page in the OCP is part of the sensor setup and calibration. The coding page is always needed for correct operation. Decoding the appropriate coding page is a task if you are not hooked up with a Diagnostic Guru. The only way around it is to find a car with the sensor, get the part number and see which coding page it uses.

g) gateway coding is also needed.

Same unit is used in the A-Class (169) SLK (171) and B (245) - check part numbers for other models.

Light and rain
----------------------------------
A 171 820 15 26 (code setting 28)
A 171 820 37 26 (code setting 30)
A 171 820 39 26 (code setting 32)
A 171 820 44 26 (code setting 52)
A 171 820 54 26 (code setting 53)

Light only
----------------------------------
A 171 820 30 26 (code setting 28)
A 171 820 38 26 (code setting 30)
A 171 820 40 26 (code setting 32)
A 171 820 45 25 (code setting 52)
A 171 820 55 26 (code setting 53)
"

So, it says no need to replace my windshield - if I understand right. If you see my sensor picture I think the way is free for the laser diodes they can see the glass through my windshield.
Remark: I can't find any part number on my windshield just the bar code. In a thread @etyu wrote: "171 670 09 01 is Windshield - Glass - Windshield - Mercedes, From 6/29/04 2005 - 2011"

3. Coding:
In the coding session, @Seanhump says:
"...Change Windshiled Version (Transmission Value) to the one that matches YOUR CAR - the last four digits of the object number are found on the the windshield underneath the windshiled stamp barcode

Codes are as follows..

Light and rain sensor
A 171 820 15 26 (code setting 28)
A 171 820 37 26 (code setting 30)
A 171 820 39 26 (code setting 32)
A 171 820 54 26 (code setting 53)

Light sensor only
A 171 820 30 26 (code setting 28)
A 171 820 38 26 (code setting 30)
A 171 820 40 26 (code setting 32)
"

Here is my barcode, underneath the windshield barcode says: 6 ... so what should I code now?

So I hope I can find someone who did this without changing windshield and someone who know the solution for the coding. Any other infos are welcome, thank you in advance guys.

Attachments

·
Founding Member 2006
108,819 Posts
your sensor picture looks like the adhesive used to secure the sensors is blocking the sensors if they are in there.

here is a picture from my rain sensor thread

·
Founding Member 2006
108,819 Posts
not the expert at all. hopefully they will reply! :D

maybe remove the adhesive and see what is in there.

a couple more pics

also, when/if testing, driver's/all doors need to be shut

Attachments

·
Founding Member 2006
108,819 Posts
if you are confident of that flash but i can see all the sensors in my windshield. can you see them in yours?

the shape of yours and mine are exactly the same

·
Registered 2006 SLK200K
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if you are confident of that flash but i can see all the sensors in my windshield. can you see them in yours?
Didn't check it because of it's over sunset but doesn't matter if I change the whole sensor, that's not a big charge (possibly I won't see them as I wrote in 1., my car hasn't got the right sensor), but I'll check it tomorrow and I'll check the sensor's part number too.

The bigger question is: should I need to change the windshield or not?

·
Founding Member 2006
108,819 Posts

·
Registered 2006 SLK200K
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would say no unless it was the wrong windshield. see my thread if you haven't:

http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r171-general-discussion/165937-windshield-replacement-good-bad-ugly.html
Opposite informations again to:
- If you already have the light sensor, then it is ready for the combination sensor without the need to replace the windscreen
- After battery disconnect the function is lost. Needs activation. Same for new glass.

By the way in the link, the sensor's adhesive was put up badly I'm sure ... this fact and the mech hasn't got the slightest idea what should he do led to the summary: the sensor didn't work - in my opinion.
Anyway the every time coding (After battery disconnect the function is lost. Needs activation. Same for new glass) seems to be logical because there is many companies who produces products for MB under the same part number with different window transparency.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,819 Posts
Mine never needed activation after new glass and I've gotten a new windshield almost every 2 years. Free windshields in Floriduh with full comprehensive coverage.

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,038 Posts
Evening all

No need to recode the sensor when the battery is disconnected

There are two ways of telling for sure which sensor you have - hooking up to DAS, or taking it out and physically inspecting it - looking through the glass may not confirm what sensor is installed as you may be seeing the holes in the adhesive.

Pic attached shows a LIGHT only sensor - the rain one has 6 extra clear sensors that are VERY obvious

Coding needs doing to

1 - tell the car it's there (in the Central Gateway)
2 - tell the car the colour of the windshield thats fitted - not really a biggie if you get it wrong, but better if you can get it right (in the Overhead Control Panel section)

Not much else to do really ...

Attachments

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,038 Posts
Reactions: #FullDragon

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
I am not certain in European R171 models vs North American models. For example the mobile phone "pre-wire" option is present on all North American models whether the owner opted for Bluetooth Hands-free option or not. If the option was requested, then the core and completer kit were installed as well as the bluetooth "puck". It may be that North American vehicles all have the 6 oval-shaped "holes", whether or not there are rain sensors installed depends upon the vehicle option. This may or may not apply to European models.

IIRC there were 2 different part numbers from MB for the front windscreen: one for those equipped with rain sensing option and one for those without the rain sensing option. This may be related to the black/dark colored painted area where the light sensor and rain sensors look out towards the front. I also recall the rain sensors are infrared ,IR, so the 6 oval shapes (3 on each side) may have to do whether the affected areas are "transparent" to IR. Just because the 6 oblong shapes are present does not mean that rain sensors are installed.

To clarify this we may need the VIN of 2 vehicles on the same continent: one with the rain-sensors installed and another without, and compare the front windscreen part numbers. The part numbers for front windscreen may change between pre and post facelift R171, as MB has been known to "update" part numbers.

AS a reference: the number below the bar code on my front windscreen is 7, and my vehicle has the rain sensors/rain-sensing wiper function option.

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
If one has the rain sensing option: the first click to turn on the wiper (one bar on the windshield wiper switch) will activate the wipers only once if windscreen is dry. Then ... spraying/sprinkling water unto the sensor area to simulate rainfall will cause the wipers to function intermittently.

Reactions: Hola5

·
Registered 2006 SLK200K
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
AS a reference: the number below the bar code on my front windscreen is 7, and my vehicle has the rain sensors/rain-sensing wiper function option.
A friend gave an information: the number below the bar code represents the year of production. Yours was made in 2007, mine was 2006.
His car was made in 2009, S-class and has rain sensing wipers, his barcode like:

Where can I find my windshield's part number or where can I check this based on my VIN?

Attachments

·
Founding Member 2006
108,819 Posts
from your vin part 10

10** A 171 670 02 00** WINDSHIELD WINDSHIELD WINDSHIELD
[004, 003] From Chassis: F 021877 From Date: 29/06/2004**

Attachments

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK350
2,562 Posts
According to the parts catalog there are three windshield part numbers. None of them have any footnote for use with or without rain sensor. The only difference is chassis number and one number has been superseded.

171 670 06 01 up to chassis 021876
171 670 09 01 from chassis 021877
171 670 02 00 supersedes 171 670 09 01

·
Registered 2006 SLK200K
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Then I think the coding is the only question, what should the code be for a A 171 670 02 00 windshield?
I try to contact to the MB dealer (only one in our country) but this company is very "interesting" and doesn't give any information for an owner :-\

Meanwhile I checked the EPC with my VIN, and at the windshield it says "also order light sensor OR rain/light sensor" ... which means to me: doesn't matter which one it will works.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.