Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230 Over 100,000 miles!!!
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have read many many posts on R170 telephone info...Seems like they veer off in different directions but never seem to give a definate "yes" or "No".

I still have no idea if I can use my factory radio telphone button on my radio to use my phone thru my stereo system.

I realize it is old technology but still wondering if it can work with new phones?

I have the telephone mic hooked up above my rear view mirror, but I do not see any plugs or wiring in my glove box or center arm rest box.

I assume if I have the mic for the phone and the phone button on my radio, the car must have been wired to use a phone?

Anyone have an slk230 that uses the stock phone system?

Thanks,
SLKman:tu:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not now.

As of this quarter the cell carriers are no longer providing service to cells without the new gps (?). Our cars came with the old Timeport system. My carrier stopped service in Jan '07.

You will need to replace your old telephone in order to use the hands free system. It will be very expensive. I have looked at various options, MB's option, Mik Box, Argos, etc. I have decided to just use my bluetooth earphone for my Razr; it works without the car system. I lose the convience of the cars' system but save $100's.:(

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230
2,624 Posts
Brent, I'm planning to install the Parrot CK3000 Evolution. I already have the hardware, I just need to find the time to install it. The folks at Parrot tell me its pretty much "plug-n-play" with the R170...we'll see. I bought 2 from etronics.com @ $89 ea. The wife's Vue will be a bit more of a challenge.

·
Registered
228 Posts
...did anyone ever get to the bottom of this problem? My car came with the phone, which comes on and goes thru my radio... anyone????

·
Registered
659 Posts
ya, not anymore. The old phone system (U.S.) was analog. They don't support analog anymore. Back in 07 (previous posts) they were already phasing it out. If you want it through your stereo, you'll have to add a system like Parrot. I installed a Parrot and it was a pain. They don't give you decent wiring instructions. A better option is to replace the radio with one that has bluetooth built in.

Reactions: DarkSithSLK

·
Registered
228 Posts
ya, not anymore. The old phone system (U.S.) was analog. They don't support analog anymore. Back in 07 (previous posts) they were already phasing it out. If you want it through your stereo, you'll have to add a system like Parrot. I installed a Parrot and it was a pain. They don't give you decent wiring instructions. A better option is to replace the radio with one that has bluetooth built in.
Thanks so very much... so I have an antique phone in my car then... lol... I knew I was fishin in some old waters...

I guess I need to move onto the next idea... I really do not want to replace the head unit... so I will have to buy something else that's hands free... I guess I was just being wishful... :biglaugh:

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:tu:I agree, best to go with a updated head unit with Bluetooth, AUX input jack, etc. I have a aftermarket integrated radio in another car. Other than the satellite radio, hands free Bluetooth is my second favorite feature. If you still want to retain you factory or current radio, there are other Bluetooth options that are inexpensive and easy to mount.

·
Registered
228 Posts
....sounds like BT is the winner... I need a solution bf the warm months so I can have safe calls and top down motoring! I get a load of calls from my practice and family while I am on the road... we are all pretty spread out

I am not afraid to hard wire in something, but I dont want a chronic head either... looks like someone started the conversion on my car.... I see a mike by the rear view mirror, but no wires and no extra buttons... who knows????

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.