Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered 2002 SLK32 AMG/2000 SLK200
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

Love my new car but the radio reception is ok when at stand still but just hopeless when on the move no reception at all or in and out reception of poor quality.

The head unit is a Sony DCX 4000 r not the original Merc unit.

The aerial cable on the back of the head unit is connected fine.

The amplifier in the boot is fixed securely by a 10mm nut so is making a good earth, the in and out aerial cables are connected fine and there is 12v to the amplifier.

The amplifiers are 75 uk pounds but I don't really want to spend that.

Can you remove the amplifier and connect a normal aerial to the aerial cable coming from the head unit.

Or, can you get a connector to connect the aerial cable from the head unit to the aerial cable going to aerial in the rear bumper.

Any other mods also welcome as options.

I have searched this reception problem on many forums but none have made that much sense to me.

Thanks

Neil.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,474 Posts
moving to the r170 general discussion section

The diy section is for already made diys
Someone will respond if they can assist and answer your questions

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Wasn't there a modification post somewhere here about creating a DIY amplifier for signal boost.. I think there were pictures and all. It's a pretty common theme with the reception. [it sucks.. basically].

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
The 'grey tin box' in the boot is not just an amp, it's also a splitter that separates the radio signal, central locking (from key fob) and phone signal (if you have a phone fitted) and routes them to their respective modules. If you binned it,at the very least, you'd find that you couldn't lock/unlock your car using the buttons on the key.

·
Registered 2002 SLK32 AMG/2000 SLK200
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Woolly

Hi Woolly

The aerial amp is just a small black thin box and has no other inputs outputs apart from the aerial in and out. I have had it disconnected and the central locking still works from the key fob, you must have a newer car with different setup.

Cheers

Neil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.