Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
* Registered
2001 slk230
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a tricky problem with radio, all fuses fine, removed and manually put 12v to power and grounded, Radio asking for code intermittenly while using this test to see if radio can be salvaged. put back in car and no code request. Take out again and test with external 12v and again sometimes I get a code request and sometimes just nothing. maybe there is another common problem I am missing that is internal to the radio itself. Probably time to invest in something after market and we have never spilt anything on it so might just be flakey after all these years of tunes.

·
* Registered 1998 SLK230
79 Posts
Similar to mine, although I did not try external power. The red light on it flashes, but no screen or code request. The one wire with power per they schematic I looked at did have power like it should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator (UK)
2002 Blue SLK320 known as 'Silkie"
3,695 Posts
The wiring harness for the R170 radios have two +12V feeds. One is a high-power one that runs the radio when you turn it on, the other keeps the electronics alive but asleep when you turn the car off. You do need both 12V feeds to keep a radio running and the code from appearing.

Take a look at the Diagnostics attachment.
  • Make sure in your car you have a permanent +12V on the Red/Green cable in pin 4 of the connector. This is the 12V that keeps the radio settings. If there is no +12V then check the fuse mentioned in the diagnostics file.
  • Make sure you only have 12V on the Pink/Yellow/Green cable on pin 7. This is the 'power' to the radio and is only live when the ignition is in the ACC position or on.

Attachments

Reactions: Dave2302 and M4rCu5

·
* Registered
2001 slk230
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Third time is the charm! Tested all the harness voltages and all good so thought put the radio back in one more time and turned the key and code request came up so back to working radio. No definite provable reason for what fixed it other than maybe the harness connectors had become unseated/loose or some surface oxidation that got cleaned up with the disconnect and reconnect activity. Thanks for the diagrams and even before I got it working, just knowing I had tried all avenues let me get satisfaction I had done all I could. Thanks again

·
Premium Member 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
4,136 Posts
Glad y'all fixed :)

Reactions: M4rCu5
1 - 5 of 5 Posts