Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

My car has (i.e. should have) a Bose soundsystem installed. AFAIK, it's based on a booster and six loudspeakers working at two ohms: two 6,5" woofers, two tweeters and a couple of rear 6,5" woofers. The head unit was replaced by a more recent Blaupunkt, which I would like to replace with a Becker.

Googling on the Web (my car is a MY 1996) I realized that the car should have a MB Special radio; unfortunately I found at least three different models - BE2210, BE1350 and BE1650. My goal is to place a Yatour (or similar) hidden module for USB/Aux/Bluetooth - fortunately the CD pinout is common to all the radios above.

I'd like to know the main differences between those radios and which one is "the right one" for my puroposes.

TIA,
Guido

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
3,171 Posts
Hi @sintoni

A quick response to you. I tried the Yatour unit with a Becker Indianapolis head unit and was not impressed. This may have been because my older Indianapolis was not fully compatible with the Yatour. I'll go back through my notes and see what is or is not compatible with this Bluetooth adapter. Would you mind telling me which Yatour unit you intend to buy?

Oh - and welcome to the forum, by the way.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TY, I have already some Yatour boxes for Alpine M-Bus radios, and sometimes they don't work properly. I have to be very careful to files' names, because sometimes they are not correctly read and the device hangs. BTW, they're the best solution for 20 years old radios like the one I need for my car. Yatour's work is better done by USD50 or something more radios, I'm sure about it.

Cheers,
Guido

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
3,171 Posts
Here's what I would do.

I'd first get hold of your free datacard. This will give you as much info as is available about what was originally fitted to your car. You may be able to work out which model radio was fitted from that information.

Secondly have a look on this site - there is more information about the various Becker models fitted to SLKs.

Thirdly I'd make sure the Becker you choose works with the Bose system you have installed.

Finally I'd make sure that the Becker you choose has a compatible set of input pins and the right level of firmware to use your Yatour adapter. Check here on Yatour's web site. Also there was a post from someone in the same situation as you here.

Good luck!

Reactions: sintoni

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TY savcom. From the datacard I can see the car had a MB Special (option 512). I already know that website: they have some very good stuff. Unfortunately, it seems there are three radios which are possible to install: they are Becker BE BE2210, BE1350 and BE1650. Each of them are Bose-compatible (to be fair, most radios are, since the Bose amplifier is a booster which needs a 4V output or similar). Each of them has a 10 pinout output for the CD changer (the link refers to a Yatour module with 8 pinouts: it works on another type of radio, I must guess even with some VW radios such as Golf MK4's Gamma V). I only would like to know if the option code 512 refers to a particular model or the three Beckers are good for my purpose ;)
Thank you,
Guido

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TY. sure, it's a sister site since a lot of internal links are a redirect to car-radio.de. As soon as I get the car, I'm gonna buy a BE1350 from them: the price is a bit higher than the average auctions on Ebay, but the product is refurbished and the cosmetics look great.
Cheers,

Guido

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Am a little confused: why would you replace the stock radio with something else that does not have Bluetooth ?
Hi, I'm afraid I made up a little mess. The car I bought comes with a stock Blaupunkt instead of the Mercedes Special (i.e. Becker BE 1350, 1650 or 2210) that should have. Thus, I mainly asked the difference between those three models: my goal is to buy one and retrofit it with a Bluetooth/Aux/USB module.

Below you can see the pics of the car right now, and the data card.

Thank you,

Guido

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Re Sintoni

Hello Sintoni, as we are on an international forum, I answer you humbly, giving you some advice in a language understandable to all (rightly).
I have personally tested all the Units you have highlighted, but I have to say that the best ones I have tried are the Becker Indianapolis and Becker Cascade Pro that I still have, but it is very rare to find, at least at affordable prices.
The above units, in my opinion, moreover, are also those that are more suited to the interior design of our SLK R170.
No problem to interface with Bose Audio Sistem (all plug-in).

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Re Sintoni

I would add that, if you were lucky enough to find a Becker Indianapois PRO, this would have built-in navigator and bluetooth system.
I also add that Becker Cascade PRO already has bluetooth, integrated navigator and can manage a useful memory card up to 2GB.
Good Luck!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Little off topic - I have standard speakers and Becker Indianapolis in my SLK and i have option to buy complete Bose sound system. Is there a very big difference in sound quality? It is worth to buy? It costs about 300$.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Little off topic - I have standard speakers and Becker Indianapolis in my SLK and i have option to buy complete Bose sound system. Is there a very big difference in sound quality? It is worth to buy? It costs about 300$.
In my opinion, I wouldn't spend the money. It's adequate at best and you could build a pretty nice system for the same money that would sound much better. The bose system is under powered and the subs are terrible. I want to get rid of mine but I'm too lazy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Re

The aspects to be evaluated could be multiple:
1) respect for car integrity and "adherence" to originality
2) pure performance
3) possibility to amplify
I have the Bose Sound System, which is not bad, but I've come to a decent result only by soundproofing the front doors and the rear baffle.
Many people underestimate this aspect, but this aspect is INCREDIBLY effective and makes any audio system much more efficient, it is also universally recognized as the first and indispensable step for all subsequent improvements. Not neglecting the fact that it respects the original appearance of the car and is invisible (very important).
At this point you can allow yourself to develop your audio system project as you wish.
Our SLK have a cockpit that does not reach one cubic meter, so they sound "good" with relatively "little".
Personally, with that buget, I started with a good two-way system piloted by the car radio.
$ 150 for soundproofing + $ 250 for a good two-way system.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
At last, I bought those, a Becker BE2215 and a Yatour module: the best way to keep the car the most original possible (@stormat: as all of my cars 'over 20', I want to get a Targa Oro) and to listen to some music. I didn't choose the Bluetooth version of the Yatour, because I don't like drilling holes close to the steering wheel.

Cheers,
Guido

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320/2000 SLK230
2,719 Posts
I have replaced the OEM radio in most of my cars with a BT/hands free head unit. Since I use my cell phone for almost everything just need an amp, speakers, and mag mount. Both of my 170s have the external amp so look more to matching the interior than other things.

Have the original radio for all in big baggies and used adapter cables rather than any cutting/splicing of original harnesses so easy to put back if needful. For me it comes under the heading of "safety" so like properly sized wheels, radial tires, platinum plugs, comfortable seating, and AGM batteries I have no problem swapping the head unit on any car for something more modern.

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230
2,624 Posts
In my opinion, I wouldn't spend the money. It's adequate at best and you could build a pretty nice system for the same money that would sound much better. The bose system is under powered and the subs are terrible. I want to get rid of mine but I'm too lazy.
Man...I have to respectfully disagree with your assessment of the factory Bose amp/speaker setup. I'm running it with the Pioneer AVH-3300NEX (low level outs) and it sounds awesome. No distortion all the way to max volume, and that can be too loud when just sitting at a stoplight.

'Course, if your goal is to compete in an audio rodeo, sure, no comparison. But, for listening with crisp highs and felt lows while motoring about with the top down, Bose did an excellent job of balancing this thing out, IMHO. :wink:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.