Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am quite happy with my recent purchase of my Sony unit. In addition, it works quite well with the faux carbon fiber dash. Don't think you can go wrong with the purchase.
Looks like sony made that radio for your dash lol
Looks very good
I have the silver check finish dash in mine but I still think it will look good
Just looking at other models at moment see if there is better out there .
So far the sony I showed earlier is winning
Much problem to install?
I might have to install a window aerial for the dab features though
cheers :wink:

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
900 Posts
Technically DAB is broadcast at the same frequencies as analog so the antenna may work sufficiently. It may need to be replaced with an antenna that is fine-tuned to digital signals.

Reactions: BlanPrivate

·
Registered
279 Posts
You WILL need a specific antenna for DAB to work - can't just plug in the FM/AM ant and hope. Later cars have DAB as standard of course so presumably you could connect an after market unit to the supplied antenna. But if you don't have one, you'll have to get one. Most common are ones that stick to the inside of the windscreen, you get a small (1" square or so) widget at the top corner of the windscreen, two wires in flat plastic sticky film running down, then you need to run the thin co-ax wire to the back of the radio, and also they need 12v. Probably a job for an installer unless you like ripping bits of trim out and hoping they'll go back! But IMHO well worth it - I had after-market DAB in my last two cars, glad it's now standard.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi again

Brought the sony unit . Was going to fit myself but I have decided to get them to fit it as the dab aerial looks a bit of a pain to fit. So they fitting on Friday . I think I only have one set of speakers in the door. Is there room for another set or would I have to make something to get some more in? . Are the original speakers any good or would I be better to get them changed too. Original MB head unit does not sound very good through the speakers at moment . Just wondering if it is worth waiting to see what the sony can do with them .
Cheers

·
Registered
279 Posts
I suggest you defer that decision. IME lots of standard car speakers do a LOT better when the head is upgraded. Moreover, it's comparatively easy to swap out the speakers. And even those that are not so easy, it's still a totally separate job, so won't cost more to do it later.

I guess you would leave the small things like a-pillar and door tweeters but replace the bigger drive units, if you did.

·
Registered
239 Posts
A bit late to the party but I've just fitted a DAB stereo to my daughter's Agila and used this to save installing a second aerial for the DAB. Works very well.

FM/AM TO DAB/FM/AM CAR AERIAL SPLITTER ADAPTOR FOR DAB SONY KENWOOD ALPINE JVC | eBay

On my SLK there are speakers in the bulkhead behind the seats, they were part of the Bose system and acted as sub woofers. I ran new cables to them when I fitted my Sony and they add a nice depth to the sound. Even if you don't have the speakers I bet there are cutouts behind the carpet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have that unit but without the DAB capability and have to say its a cracking unit and does every thing you could need for in car entertainment.. just had to fit a microphone for Bluetooth calling as it doesn't work too well without one when the roof is down.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi all

Ok I will try my speakers already in place for now . Thanks Ccomly
Wish I new about that lead . Looks better then my window antenna I have already brought but we will see. Thanks Aycee
Good to know you recommend the sony unit Shimmo. looking forward to Friday now :). I have got the microphone in box so they can fix that in too!!
Just got to find me ipod now lol
cheers guys

·
Registered
267 Posts
There are similar ones to the splitter that are inline & powered off the blue aux wire, boosting signal.
I have one on my Sony DAB radio & it works a treat ;-)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Ah, the splitter looks interesting, I have a DAB head in my Defender but no-where obvious to put the supplied antenna. Actually the fm antenna on the wing has snapped off anyway, so ill replace that with a rubber one (better for off-roading) and run that to both inputs!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.