Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Alpine radio installation in my 01 320S turned out to be quite easy. You use a VW harness and just figure out the wiring changes. Works though the existing amp and speakers just fine. I put the USB lead and the Ipod plug in the glove box. While I was doing it I also installed the in line fm modulator for the satellite radio which worked great. I like the portable satellite receiver. Don't want to buy 4 subscriptions. I put the satellite antenna under the dash as finding a place on the external vehicle is brutal. The trunk bonnet is out because of its articulation and the rest of the car doesn't seem to have a decent flat surface.

I live 200 miles from the closest dealer and the local radio shops wanted nothing to do with the installation. The first install I was careful but now that I know how to do it its a 45 min. job. So those of you out there that want to crawl out of the 20th century for your audio don't be afraid. You are loosing your CD changer in the trunk but I wasn't using the thing anyway.

Nothing is damaged and its a 10 minute job to remove the new radio and put your old factory unit back in.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:tu:Good job. A up-to-date aftermarket stereo system is a good investment. Curious about your satellite reception with the antenna UNDER the dash. Doesn't take much to lose the signal. If it works, great. I normally mount mine on the dash or rear deck with good results.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't had any problem with it so far. Actually the radio works okay with just the built in antenna. Just a little static now and then. Works in the house also without the antenna headphones. Its a Stiletto 2 from Sirius.

Thank you.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Actually I had both Sat and GPS antennas under the middle of the dash. What I found is that the GPS works perfectly but I was losing sat radio in certain spots. I moved the sat antenna to the originally mounted place in the middle of the drunk. Had to fibricate it a little but now no problems! NONE....love the system now. The CD changer is obsolete! Who cares about CD's if you have an iPod nowdays....

Ski

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230 Over 100,000 miles!!!
2,093 Posts
Good to hear it is that easy. I have been concidering a new radio too.

What radio model did you put in?

Where did you get the harness and do you have a pert number?

Do you have pics of it?

Thanks
SLKman:tu:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used the CDA -105 Alpine. It uses a standard vw wire harness but you have to be sure and check what wire is what as the wiring schematic I got off the SLK site was not the same as mine. No big deal just checked each wire and moved the pin in the connector. You will need a antenna adapter. The wiring harness is 95 volks and up. I did not take any pictures.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.