Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

* Registered
2004 SLK350
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I will not lie that I'm not driving spiritually my SLK 馃槄

Story: I have stopped at a red light, on D with my foot on the brake.

Driving with the top off, after about 30 seconds standing still I hear a bang - maybe not something terribly loud, but clearly audible. Right after that some vibrations appear.

My first thought - something happened to the transmission.

But I was able to pull off and stop safely on the side of the road. I start switching to R and D, car moves normally.

I have popped the hood - and I can immediately see the vibrations are from the radiator fan.

I have started some diagnosing by removing the radiator top mounts from the chassis, and this is on the right:

But on the left:

So If i searched for the part correctly, I'm clearly missing A2035040112:

But I also think something might have happened with the bottom mounts.

Is there anything else on the bottom, besides the A1715040114? Can this part actually brake?

Does the position of the radiator looks ok on this picture below?

* Registered
2004 SLK350
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
@efair You mean like physically broken? Or something happened to the bearing?

I'm close by to the MB dealer (the biggest one here in Poland) - the rubber itself is not onnly for R171 so hopefully they will have it on stock.

I guess I will mount the missing upper rubber and look more closely into the fan - and the next thing would be to visit my MB mechanic.

I just wonder if due to the missing upper rubber, the radiator did not bounce off the bottom mount(s).

* Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG /2005 SLK350
That rubber block simply isolates the radiator from the cross member so that vibration is reduced. What exactly do you see: "and I can immediately see the vibrations are from the radiator fan"?

* Registered
2004 SLK350
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Avel Du @efair Well thanks guys for being evil prophets :love:

I was naive to belive it was only the rubber :rolleyes:

A piece of outer frame between two blades is missing:

I've insepcted and cannot see anything else broken.

Is it so critical that I cannot drive it? I'm ordering the fan ASAP ofc and scheduling a visit with my mechanic.

Administrator (UK)
Can't speak for safety (other than more breaking off and potentially hitting something else) but vibration will not be good for bearings.

Sorry it turned out to be a pain.
You did check the serpentine belt carefully for any nicks and tears?
The other person ended up replacing belt too I think.

* Registered
2004 SLK350
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, by driving I actually mostly meant driving to a mechanic - he's almost 50km away so not that close.

I guess towing it would be time consuming and getting a tow truck expensive.

I know I should just drive top-less without AC for sure and drive very conservatively.

@efair how to unplug the fan? Or maybe I could take out a fuse?

@Avel Du I've checked the belt and it looks fine, both with the engine off and on. As for the fan bearing I won't care much about it since I need to replace the fan anyway 馃槄

BTW, as for the fan itself - does it require removing radiator (so most likely then refilling AC gas etc) or it can be done more easily?

Administrator (UK)
Removal
Keep in mind that bearings protect two surfaces from wear.
So, although you replace the fan you may risk further damage to the housing.
But I am not an expert. Efair and others are better advising. Much more mechanically minded.

@Delucas @Dave2302

Driving 50 km with damaged fan. Is it best to unplug and carefully watch temp?

* Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
Fan, Shroud, Controller, Bearings etc etc is all part of one unit and should be replaced as such.

I haven't taken one off a 171 M272, but it looks like there is more room than some MB's and all MB's I have done fans on always come out without disturbing Radiator Pack, AC Pipes etc, sometimes you need to move a hose or some-such, but never a real drama.

* Registered
2004 SLK350
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I got the fan and I'm scheduled for replacement on friday.

But I just had some short drives - with the ac off and driving slowly the car does not even turn on the fan.

But got another issue with the car - P0335 code. It gave me a check engine light once while driving and it went into limp mode. And today the engine just stalled while I was waiting on a red light.

When I came back home to get it scanned by DAS it then didn't want to start up.

@efair If I understand correctly CPS is in the rear, so there's no way the small fan part would have damaged it or the wiring?

Administrator Founding Member since 2006
crankshaft position sensor or camshaft pos sensor? :D

Administrator Founding Member since 2006
here is crank

1 - 20 of 27 Posts