Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230 Over 100,000 miles!!!
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mercedes Dealer told me this has become a common Problem.

Over time the Plastic gets brittle and cracks if you "bump" the hose.

The break happens where the hose is clamped to the plastic. It is reinforce with a copper insert but is still able to crack and drip.

Over time the dripping can ruin your radiator fan motor.

This is an easy fix.

Dealer wanted $460 to repair it.
BAP auto parts store $100 (in stock)
Ebay Brand New Genuine OEM part $68 (had to wait a week to get it)

30 minute of my time.

Hope this helps.

SLKman:tu:

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Great job man.

I had the same problem with my SLK200 and bought a new tank. It costs about 70$ in here. I changed it in the garage and now it works fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I found this thread after I noticed white residue on the expansion tank for my '04 320 while I was cleaning under the hood and promptly broke whatever fragment of plastic was still holding the barb on.
I reinserted the brass nipple and took it for a test drive. Although it wasn't going to blow out, it was leaking pretty good without the bit of crust it had.

Pelican had an OEM tank for $96 (it's where the washer fluid is warmed smh) so I'm waiting for it to get here. Meanwhile, I thought I'd share a tip:

As a stop gap measure I took about 3/4" of teflon tape, wrapped the brass nipple 3 turns and put it back in the hole. It's doing the job so far. YMMV.
THIS IS NOT INTENDED AS A REPAIR.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Because I can't edit the other post for clarity: washer fluid warming is a secondary function. It uses heat transfer from the coolant.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.