Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought the SLK 320 kind of as a summer beater/DD to just drive like a moron and enjoy some time with the roof down until I get around to eventually selling it. Anyway, I was bleeding my clutch on my autocross car the night before the race and sheered the threads in the slave cylinder. I called over to the 24 hour autozone and they didn't have one... (not a surprise) so I thought "oh no, what will I do???"

So since I wasn't going to be competitive that day anyway, I decided to drive the SLK. I show up and I'm not sure what to make of it.

I did alright, but I dont think the car did me many favors. beat out some of the porsches, but lost to a nice miata and a 370z, both on race tires. grrr. For being on kumho ecstas though, I can't complain.

Anyway, I guess the car handled exactly like I imagined it would. Not impressed, not disappointed. It was fun to drive fast, and it felt great- fully under control. The 320's power band and torque were evident as I was able to handle the course with ease. The rear end kicks out pretty easy for for my first run I was doing 360s, but after that I tamed it a little bit. May just be the complete lack of oversteer I'm used to racing F-Bodies.

In short, the car drove great, and handled the course like a champ. I learned the limits of the car so now I know how it can handle the twisty backroads, which has made driving much more fun. The negative however is its not quite as good as a lot of other cars specifically for racing (but pretty darn good for having fun).

I urge everyone to go autocross their SLKs one day and learn the limits- it pays of on the streets big time, but I really didn't feel like the SLK would ever give me a shot to be competitive.

Just thought I'd share!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for sharing that, Arachnyd- sounds like you had some fun!

You got me curious about your F-body cars..we collect those, currently have several Trans Ams from '73-'81, also an '01 convertible..

Where do you do your track days? *EDIT -Oh, Mid-Ohio?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I love older transams. I've also been wanting another 90s/early 2000s Fbody for racing, but they are way overpriced for the ones in good shape,,, haha. Its cheaper to just buy corvettes and quite frankly, performs better. I'll probably get around to picking up another 1 or 2 older fbodies when I find what I want.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.