Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 2015 R172 and like most have pretty useless headlights, they are just the standard light and soooooo dim with poor range, the glass is fine and not yellowed at all but the lamps are just poor.

Can anyone recommend decent upgrades to either the bulbs or replacement units?

Thank you.

Bazza123

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
Looking at the September 2015 UK Boucher - Option 621 for Intelligent Light System with Adaptive Highbeam Assist was an extra £1150 on a £37k 250 AMG SLK... !! :surprise:
Hence why not many people ticked that option box....

The R171 & R172 have "Projector" Head light units, they give out poor light output with a standard H7 Halogen bulbs due to there being a metal bar blocking some of the light getting out:

Can try Philips X-tremeVision 130% that give a small improvement, but only last 450 hours...

LED bulbs could be the way to go, but need a bulb where the headlight dust cover still fits back into place.

Which leaves a HID kit (~£60) but need a friendly MOT tester, though My cars & other owners still pass.

For general information - Here are the differences between upgrade H7 Halogen bulbs & HID bulbs:

Amazon Info:
Philips X-tremeVision – 100% Bulbs (Colour temperature of 3250K) Average lifetime of 500 hours
Philips X-tremeVision – 130% Bulbs (Colour temperature of 3700K) Average lifetime of 450 hours

HID Direct Info:
Traditional halogen bulbs (1400 to 1550 luminous )
Standard 35w HID bulbs (3250 luminous) -- Cost £14 for a new set of HID bulbs
50/55w HID Bulbs (4500 luminous flux) -- Bulbs have an average lifetime of 2500 hours

The "luminous" is how much light the bulb gives out, hence why HID's match same light output as R172's with the optional Xeon Headlights.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
If going to HIDs, I recommend a 55W ballast and a 6000K intensity discharge kit. This combo gives the overall best output and setup, IMHO.

I have had HID kits on all of my previous cars that came with halogens in projector housing, and it is almost always the first upgrade I do by upgrading to HIDs, so pretty familiar with these.... Most will recommend 3500K for their "natural" white intensity output, but I still think the 6000K is the overall best, with just the slightest hint of blue without diminishing the intensity of the discharge. Plus it looks awesome at night...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Lots of info on here about lights, I took the simple path of least resistance and changed the dipped bulbs to Philips X-tremeVision, keeps everything legal and genuinely provides an improvement.

If you go down the hid path think consider this, how many times have you been blinded by cars with poorly set up lights or after market upgrades? There’s a reason it’s now part of the MOT

·
Registered
155 Posts
Looking at the September 2015 UK Boucher - Option 621 for Intelligent Light System with Adaptive Highbeam Assist was an extra £1150 on a £37k 250 AMG SLK... !! :surprise:
Hence why not many people ticked that option box....
The Intelligent Light System came as standard on the UK SLC 43 AMG, so I have it and I have to say it is AWESOME

I was always frustrated by the abysmal lights on my '06 SLK350, but now the lights are something I would pay the £1000 for.

The adaptive high beam assist is also amazing - I leave it on all the time.
I do wonder about pedestrians and maybe cyclists who might not be detected by the sensors and so get struck by full beam however, but when you come up behind another car, the part of the beam dims so that the car is not dazzled but the rest of the beam stays high

·
Registered
111 Posts
I tried Osram Night Breakers in my old SLK - they were slightly better than the standard halogens.

However, in Jan having bought an 66 Plate SLC and not being prepared to put up with the poor light I went HID. I bought these: -

https://www.hids4u.co.uk/h7-hids4u-stealth-55w-high-brightness-xenon-hid-conversion-kit.html

They are great without being stupidly bright i.e. blinding all and sundry.

After fitting (got a mate to do it!) I showed them a garage who carries out MOT's and he said that he wouldn't have even noticed. As Trev says above, most get through.

Change them - you won't regret it.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
If you go down the hid path think consider this, how many times have you been blinded by cars with poorly set up lights or after market upgrades? There’s a reason it’s now part of the MOT
This is only an issue if an HID kit is added to a reflector headlight assembly. Here, our SLKs come with projector housing and hence can fit HIDs without becoming a traffic menace to others.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I agree the standard lights are poor.
I fitted a HID conversion to my R172 SLK350 and it makes a huge improvement.
Before people say it wont pass the MOT, it did and they dont even mention it.
I have fitted HID conversions to other cars and never had a problem with MOT's.

I traded the SLK350 in for my current SLK55, that has standard fit HID lights (with clever beam shaping as well) so needs no upgrade.

I put the SLK350 back to standard for the sale so I have the complete kit packed away, it was fitted for about a year.
Many HID kits will throw up canbus errors, in fact the error is valid and its caused by the high inrush current that many of the HID kits have.
The kit I have is smart and its inrush current is controlled so it works with no canbus errors.
Fitting is not difficult.
Picture attached shows job halfway through with HID on left, its brighter and whiter.

If you are interested in it send me a PM.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts