Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a couple of hours to kill this afternoon while my better half went handbag shopping, so I ended up at my local main dealer. Wandering around looking at what I couldn't afford and what I didn't want, when the sales lady caught my eye. Had a little discussion and in the end I think she realised that the few coppers I had in my pocket were staying there and she changed tack and asked me if I had or would be interested in a service plan. I didn't want to commit there and then so said I wasn't interested but thanked her for her time and left. On the way back to help with the collection of new handbags it set me wondering about, if the service plans were worth it.
So.......
Do you have one? if so whats good, bad or indifferent about it?
What do they cover? and more importantly what DON"T they cover?
What sort of prices and number of years are covered?
My car is 4 years old and will do about 10, to 12,000 miles a year.
Any help or information would be much appreciated from anyone that doesn't have a vested interest in selling them.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,938 Posts

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
Mercedes service plans work on 15,000 mile intervals and the list price on a SLK over 12 months old is £37/month. So they are saying that the car will average £444 per year to service.

All they cover is what is in the service log, so typically an oil and filter change with brake fluid every 3 years. That seems quite pricey.

The same plan bought with a new car is £26/month. I struggle to see how they work out the difference between a car purchased from new and one that is purchased after a year old.

Especially when Audi/VW/Skoda/SEAT almost halve the routine service costs when the car becomes 3 years old.

Personally, I'd stash the £37/month and negotiate HARD with the dealer over the service price, using a reputable independent as a comparison. VAG dealers will not just match but BEAT any written quote from a VAT registered independent. There is one in Milton Keynes that is basically bankrupting Milton Keynes Audi one service at a time by quoting stupidly low prices when asked for a written quote. When MK Audi took them up on one such quote, they smiled and did it (at a loss) just to hack off the dealer a bit more :)

·
*Registered
SLK Disposed of
310 Posts
I got it £37 a month, I have no idea if this is saving me money or not but don't have to find a lump sum every year, yes I could put some money away every month but might be temped to spend it, and I then still have to get my car serviced.
Any problems I get I will use a indy dealer, service will be done by a main dealer.
(may help if I get the dreaded red paint blisters).

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
FWIW, my car was a CPO model which came with 2 years of service, but I opted in for the extended service plan which extended my dealer warrantee out another 3 years, all with unlimited miles. So, I basically have a 5 year, unlimited mile warrantee with regular maintenance included.

Admittedly, I haven't done the math, but I'm fairly sure I'm ultimately be paying more for service but I consider it a "mental health fee" in that I won't have to worry about the vario roof breaking on me three years from now and I can just drop it off at the dealer anytime it needs maintenance. For me, that's worth paying a little extra in the long run.

·
*Registered
2015 SLK250d
234 Posts
Worth considering, possibly?

I have just taken out the £26 per month option on my new SLK 250d.
I had a good chat to service manager before I did so. I was assured it covered everything on the service schedule including the auto gearbox fluid change at 37000 miles or 2 years. You can also cancel when you sell the car and a calculation is done for amount paid in and cost of repairs. Service manager told me that service plans are calculated on 'warranty pricing' rather than 'retail pricing' so cheaper.
It does not cover wear and tear items like brake pads, and possibly brake disks.
Important to remember though it is a service plan, not a warranty.
There is some value in ensuring a full history and that you get every software upgrade, but £37 per month on a used car does seem excessive.
Mercedes don't have a great reputation for goodwill repairs either, even with a full MB history.
Personally I would check out what the servicing costs actually are for the next 4 years and do the calculation, remember to check for any owners club discounts as well.
Good luck:smile:

·
*Registered
SLK Disposed of
310 Posts
I have just taken out the £26 per month option on my new SLK 250d.
I had a good chat to service manager before I did so. I was assured it covered everything on the service schedule including the auto gearbox fluid change at 37000 miles or 2 years. You can also cancel when you sell the car and a calculation is done for amount paid in and cost of repairs. Service manager told me that service plans are calculated on 'warranty pricing' rather than 'retail pricing' so cheaper.
It does not cover wear and tear items like brake pads, and possibly brake disks.
Important to remember though it is a service plan, not a warranty.
There is some value in ensuring a full history and that you get every software upgrade, but £37 per month on a used car does seem excessive.
Mercedes don't have a great reputation for goodwill repairs either, even with a full MB history.
Personally I would check out what the servicing costs actually are for the next 4 years and do the calculation, remember to check for any owners club discounts as well.
Good luck:smile:
Did you take you service plan out when the car was new?
£37 is for a used car I think 3 years and over . mine will covers year 4 5 and 6
I checked this price on the MB web site and £37 was right.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That sounds right £26 brand new car only

The new car cost of £26/month for three years covers 2 normal services (i.e. for year 1 and 3) and 1 where there are additional items such as transmission fluid and brake fluid changes which are every two years (so year 2 in this case).

The £37/month I pay, as the car was 1 year old when I started the plan, covers years 2, 3 and 4 and therefore covers 1 normal service (year 3) and two with the additional fluid changes (years 2 and 4) - thus the additional cost...

On the breakdown of the costs my dealer gave me, the plan saves around £400 over dealer pricing for the three services.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My car is die for a B service, 13,800 miles and I am also considering this. It works out at £45 pm for 3 years.
I had an quote for the service that is due in the next 22 days and it is £764.50 including brake fluid and spark plugs, so to me £45 pm sounds like a good idea for the next 3 services
Going to call them and confirm the monthly plan incorporates this

·
Banned
973 Posts
My car is die for a B service, 13,800 miles and I am also considering this. It works out at £45 pm for 3 years.
I had an quote for the service that is due in the next 22 days and it is £764.50 including brake fluid and spark plugs, so to me £45 pm sounds like a good idea for the next 3 services
Going to call them and confirm the monthly plan incorporates this
My 'B' service due (the car I mean) & knowing it's a pricey one very happy I have a service plan. £38 a month is not missed AND & the main dealer met my village garage quote of £33 for an MOT instead of £54 AND although the dealer website indicated they charge £30 for a courtesy car they of course do not do so - flipping wouldn't dare either.
I have received superb professional efficient service from all personal encountered at the dealership, & pop in to enjoy coffee & biscuits anytime - suits me fine.
BTW whenever I pass a Mercedes main dealer & in need of a coffee & biscuit am happy to troll in & avail myself knowing I am paying in the long run. Do this whether or not you are a Mercedes owner, it's easy to stall any pushy salesperson.

·
Banned
973 Posts
I had that as well invite to a fashion show drinks eats and guess what the launch of a new Merc can't remember what one.
Hmm ......there are 4 main dealers in my part of the world, so think I may take a day to potter round each & get fed & watered at Mercedes expense. Will offset whatever extra I pay through the nose for owning a Merc.
And as said before any Mercedes main dealer is useful as a coffee stop.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.