Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

R172 Road top CarPlay module

13K views 52 replies 11 participants last post by  102 MB 
#1 ·
Anyone have experience with the road top CarPlay module. I’m considering adding it to my car and trying to find some user feedback. Amazon has it for under 300 in the US so looks like a pretty good deal but no user feedback and I’m always a little skeptical of those. TIA

#9 ·
Thanks so much for documenting this. Really interested in knowing if everything is automatic from the time you turn it on. For instance , in the R171 the sony unit had to be switched to Aux.
I just want to start the car and have the unit displaying Android
, happy to have it wired into the USB.
ALso interested in how the phone works via Google Assistant ( or Siri in your case ?) .

#12 ·
No, I did not install a reversing camera. If you have one already installed you can select it and it will flip to that when the car is in reverse. Also if you don't have one or aftermarket you can use the box for that. Hook up seem to be pretty straight forward.

#15 ·
here is the link to the one I purchased

#14 ·
I dont think Android auto works wirelessly yet for all phones, so USB will be essential to connect. Impressed that it only took you 2.5 hours.
I'm still chicken so will work with the installer , suspect less scratches that way.
Were you able to use the existing microphone in the car (wherever the hell that is located) ? Or did you have the furry pod sticking out at eye height.?
Also thanks for the sticking it back in tip. I have small hands so may be able to help . AT least with passing the
hammer. !!

#16 ·
I dont think Android auto works wirelessly yet for all phones, so USB will be essential to connect. Impressed that it only took you 2.5 hours.
I'm still chicken so will work with the installer , suspect less scratches that way.
Were you able to use the existing microphone in the car (wherever the hell that is located) ? Or did you have the furry pod sticking out at eye height.?
Also thanks for the sticking it back in tip. I have small hands so may be able to help . AT least with passing the
hammer. !!
Here is an install video from another solution on youtube but the same basic principle

I'd check it out before paying someone to do the install to see if you are comfortable doing it yourself. The roadtop system uses the original mic, that was one of the reason I went with it.

#17 ·
Aah. Ok. That is similar to the naviplus unit talked about before in these forums.
I'm actually after the Roadtop unit with a 9 inch screen that sits in the slot where the original screen is.
A little more complex. There is a 24 min install video that I will find.
The cost is about $520;USD.

#50 ·
Sorry just saw this question, didn't pop up on my feed. You can listen to the radio however can't see the screen that your audio is on. You have to go in and out of carplay to change stations. I would recommend using the Sirius app in carplay, there is also a radio app to stream radio station. All of those assume you have unlimited data.

#21 ·
The answer is really no and yes. The No - you can't use the OTA radio or Sirius from the MB unit to integrate directly into CarPlay

Now the yes -
Option 1. You can change the audio input to any input that is available on your MB audio unit then enable the system and just use the display portion of google maps - no navigation directions. Also to change station you have to disable the CarPlay system go back to NGT, change the station and then re-enable the system to get back to the map. This would be the only option to get OTA radio and you get no visual display of anything relating to the radio or Sirius just the display of the map

Option 2. The SiruisXM app has CarPlay integration, if you subscribe to one of the Sirius plans that has streaming and your phone has unlimited data, you can use the app inside of CarPlay - I've used this and it work just as I would except any integration - the only drawback/benefit is that it's tied to you phone signal so it will drop out if you go through a long dead sport. If you just need the the streaming plan I would recommend you reach out to SiriusXM and see if they have any promotions.

#22 ·
The answer is really no and yes. The No - you can't use the OTA radio or Sirius from the MB unit to integrate directly into CarPlay

Now the yes -
Option 1. You can change the audio input to any input that is available on your MB audio unit then enable the system and just use the display portion of google maps - no navigation directions. Also to change station you have to disable the CarPlay system go back to NGT, change the station and then re-enable the system to get back to the map. This would be the only option to get OTA radio and you get no visual display of anything relating to the radio or Sirius just the display of the map

Option 2. The SiruisXM app has CarPlay integration, if you subscribe to one of the Sirius plans that has streaming and your phone has unlimited data, you can use the app inside of CarPlay - I've used this and it work just as I would except any integration - the only drawback/benefit is that it's tied to you phone signal so it will drop out if you go through a long dead sport. If you just need the the streaming plan I would recommend you reach out to SiriusXM and see if they have any promotions.

Thanks, that’s very helpful. If I have google maps on, will I still receive a call?

#25 ·
Thanks for the photos and the write up. Can you also provide the URL for the one you bought from Amazon. I think I like the idea of returning it if I'm not satisfied.
BTW , is it touch screen ? The naviplus unit offers that, but to be honest I'm getting used to the wife's B class, which doesn't have the touch screen and it's OK.

#26 ·
Thanks for the photos and the write up. Can you also provide the URL for the one you bought from Amazon. I think I like the idea of returning it if I'm not satisfied.
BTW , is it touch screen ? The naviplus unit offers that, but to be honest I'm getting used to the wife's B class, which doesn't have the touch screen and it's OK.
It uses the 250's display so it i snot touch screen. You navigate with the Command wheel or via Sire/ steering wheel controls.

Here is the link:

Here is what I used to connect the wires. I have used them before and have had no issues with them, plus you can easily unscrew them if you need to change wiring.

Here is the trim kit I bought, a bit overkill but came in handy:

#28 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here's a shot of the Boyo Camera, as you can see it blends right in:

Here is what the backup screen looks like; very clear and easy to see. This is daylight, will try to rememebr to get a night shot. The moire is from the pic, not on screen.

The system, when you start up, first opens the stock Comand screen, the goes to this when you plug in or automatically if you use BT and WiFi, followed by a switch to Carplay:

The little white box in the upper left shows CarPlay is connected.

#37 ·
So where does this box stay at? behind the radio or in the glovebox?
who are you asking?
someone in particular? use the reply or quote icon so we/they know/are notified

:D

#43 ·
Yes sir, I got it to work and thank you. There's a usb does that work when plug in? So far wireless working for Carplay, how about wireless charging? Incoming call the button on the steering wheel does not work only the rotary dial? Is there anyway to change the setting back to the steering wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.