Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered 2014 SLK350
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with the road top CarPlay module. I’m considering adding it to my car and trying to find some user feedback. Amazon has it for under 300 in the US so looks like a pretty good deal but no user feedback and I’m always a little skeptical of those. TIA

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK350
53 Posts
How did you go . They have a very good install video that runs for about 24 minutes. Looks impressive . But....

·
Registered 2014 SLK350
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How did you go . They have a very good install video that runs for about 24 minutes. Looks impressive . But....
Just pulled the trigger and ordered it, held off because I can't find any real reviews other than youtube vids from the vendor. It's showing up later this week; I'll post a review after install.

·
Registered 2016 SLK300
49 Posts
I will be very curious on how your install goes and your feedback. Would be interested in adding this functionality.

·
Registered 2014 SLK350
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just pulled the trigger and ordered it, held off because I can't find any real reviews other than youtube vids from the vendor. It's showing up later this week; I'll post a review after install.
Installed today.initial impress is that it works well - no major problems off the bat. I've only tried wireless, not wired. Also, I've only used the music player, phone, text, maps, and Sirius apps and only basic functionality. I will post more on this at a later time once I've had a chance to put it through the motions.

As for the install, it pretty much straight forward. I highly recommend watching the youtube videos out there, they help a lot. The entire install took about 2.5 hrs, The only real tools I used were a t20 tork, a trim tool, both, and a couple of shop towels. The first two are pretty much required the tools are nice to protect the ashtray and gear shit from dents, dings, and scratches while handling the radio. It helps to have small hands as some of the concerts are had to get to, I do not so it took some extra time and care. I also sent some time to clean the install of the antenna and the aux cable that runs to the center console. The hardest part of the install was getting the radio back in (nothing on this in any of the videos that I could find). I thought there would be enough space to install under radio min the small compartment however the radio sets at an angle and clips the back preventing it from sliding all the way in - probably 45 mins of the install was working out this issue. I finally found that your can- barley - slide everything into the open space in the back on the right side. Start with the roadtop box and then the connections and wiring, it still a tight fit, however, was able to get in back in with only a little force. The other thing that I didn't see in the video is that if you have an automatic trans you will have to have the car running as get the center trim off. It doesn't have clearance in park for the front part tho clear the radio. All in all, take your time there nothing that to difficult.

If you have any specific questions feel free to message me and I try my best to answer Also sorry can't help with any Android question everyone in myhouse hs drunk the Apple Kool-Aid 🤣 .

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK200
2,489 Posts
Good information (y)
To release the auto gear shift without the need to have the car running there is a yellow shift release catch under the gaiter/boot. Carefully lift the gaiter by squeezing around the frame and gently pulling the gaiter up for access.
It is the yellow component here:

·
53 Posts
Thanks so much for documenting this. Really interested in knowing if everything is automatic from the time you turn it on. For instance , in the R171 the sony unit had to be switched to Aux.
I just want to start the car and have the unit displaying Android
, happy to have it wired into the USB.
ALso interested in how the phone works via Google Assistant ( or Siri in your case ?) .

·
Registered 2014 SLK350
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Installed today.initial impress is that it works well - no major problems off the bat. I've only tried wireless, not wired. Also, I've only used the music player, phone, text, maps, and Sirius apps and only basic functionality. I will post more on this at a later time once I've had a chance to put it through the motions.

As for the install, it pretty much straight forward. I highly recommend watching the youtube videos out there, they help a lot. The entire install took about 2.5 hrs, The only real tools I used were a t20 tork, a trim tool, both, and a couple of shop towels. The first two are pretty much required the tools are nice to protect the ashtray and gear shit from dents, dings, and scratches while handling the radio. It helps to have small hands as some of the concerts are had to get to, I do not so it took some extra time and care. I also sent some time to clean the install of the antenna and the aux cable that runs to the center console. The hardest part of the install was getting the radio back in (nothing on this in any of the videos that I could find). I thought there would be enough space to install under radio min the small compartment however the radio sets at an angle and clips the back preventing it from sliding all the way in - probably 45 mins of the install was working out this issue. I finally found that your can- barley - slide everything into the open space in the back on the right side. Start with the roadtop box and then the connections and wiring, it still a tight fit, however, was able to get in back in with only a little force. The other thing that I didn't see in the video is that if you have an automatic trans you will have to have the car running as get the center trim off. It doesn't have clearance in park for the front part tho clear the radio. All in all, take your time there nothing that to difficult.

If you have any specific questions feel free to message me and I try my best to answer Also sorry can't help with any Android question everyone in myhouse hs drunk the Apple Kool-Aid 🤣 .
Day two - one more insulation note - pull the USB cable on the roadtop box out where you can get to it. The Mercedes USB is not recognized by the roadtop box. It not necessary for operation at this point however I would guess that any future firmware update would require it's use. I didn't do mine some will at some point probably need to remove and do so

·
Registered 2014 SLK350
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you fit a reversing camera?
No, I did not install a reversing camera. If you have one already installed you can select it and it will flip to that when the car is in reverse. Also if you don't have one or aftermarket you can use the box for that. Hook up seem to be pretty straight forward.

·
53 Posts
I dont think Android auto works wirelessly yet for all phones, so USB will be essential to connect. Impressed that it only took you 2.5 hours.
I'm still chicken so will work with the installer , suspect less scratches that way.
Were you able to use the existing microphone in the car (wherever the hell that is located) ? Or did you have the furry pod sticking out at eye height.?
Also thanks for the sticking it back in tip. I have small hands so may be able to help . AT least with passing the
hammer. !!

·
Registered 2014 SLK350
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can you provide the model number and the URL for the site. Many thanks
here is the link to the one I purchased

·
Registered 2014 SLK350
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I dont think Android auto works wirelessly yet for all phones, so USB will be essential to connect. Impressed that it only took you 2.5 hours.
I'm still chicken so will work with the installer , suspect less scratches that way.
Were you able to use the existing microphone in the car (wherever the hell that is located) ? Or did you have the furry pod sticking out at eye height.?
Also thanks for the sticking it back in tip. I have small hands so may be able to help . AT least with passing the
hammer. !!
Here is an install video from another solution on youtube but the same basic principle

I'd check it out before paying someone to do the install to see if you are comfortable doing it yourself. The roadtop system uses the original mic, that was one of the reason I went with it.

·
53 Posts
Aah. Ok. That is similar to the naviplus unit talked about before in these forums.
I'm actually after the Roadtop unit with a 9 inch screen that sits in the slot where the original screen is.
A little more complex. There is a 24 min install video that I will find.
The cost is about $520;USD.

·
53 Posts

·
Registered 2013 SLK250
5 Posts
Another question: Can you play the radio and/or Sirius XM while you have Google Maps on the screen?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts