Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Twist off the front MB star badge from the front grille by twisting one inch anti clockwise and pull to remove (non distronic models)

2. Using a torch locate the two pins on the underside of the top nose cone badge.

3. Using a short stubby crosshead screwdriver gently place the tip in the end of one of the pins and apply a little pressure to see if their is any movement in the badge above, this will allow you to see if the badge is glued or just pressed into the nose cone, if it appears glued it may have been replaced at some point as MB did not glue this badge, the pins are all that is required to hold the R172 badge in place, the pins are expanded on the ends and create a tight fit into the nose cone holes.

4. Once happy their is movement, use a trim remover tool or similar to gently work your way around the badge working from one side to the other, at the same time you can continue pressing the tabs from underneath to help guide the badge out.

BE CAREFUL NOT TO DAMAGE THE NOSECONE WITH REMOVAL TOOL!

5. Once removed you can simply push the replacement badge into the holes till it secures flat, there should be no need to use any glue to secure it.

6. Stand back and admire your new badge/replacement

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,598 Posts
I really do wish there was a smaller star in there. Personally, I prefer less "in your face" but that's just me.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Thanks, I’ve been considering changing to the black badge for a while. Any tips on where to get the OEM black badge at the best price?

@Col
I know this was six months ago but MB Bristol currently have an offer on black badge swaps, either parts only or fitted. Sorry, I didn’t note the prices. May be a nationwide dealer promotion?
TonyS

·
Banned
974 Posts
Thanks, I’ve been considering changing to the black badge for a while. Any tips on where to get the OEM black badge at the best price?
Don't laugh but as my car is black I in-filled the 3 silvered sections of the badge with black gloss paint. Matches the black version of the wheel centre caps.

·
Banned
974 Posts
I really do wish there was a smaller star in there. Personally, I prefer less "in your face" but that's just me.
I agree & the blanked version on the SLC is worse AND looks cheap.
Also I fancy a small Mercedes mascot as per older cars rather than a badge.
Now that I know how to access the badge & remove it I may go ahead.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts