Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disclaimer: Don't have either, but I offered to help a friend with his.

He's having problem getting the Navifly/Android unit to "talk" to NTG (NTG 4.5). As in, there's no NTG screen/interface in the unit. Nor does he have sound..

He's getting the run-around from the supplier, so that's bust.

But before they ghosted him, he managed to get a cable for the NTG version he have, and it does come on every now and then, kinda and ever so briefly, so I'm thinking something VERY simple!
Gadget Font Multimedia Display device Television set

He's coming down from north Yorkshire (4h drive!) this weekend for me to take a look at, but does anyone have any suggestions what I should look for?

·
*Premium Member
2012 SLK55 AMG
10,086 Posts
Not entirely sure. It's a R172 250cdi if I understood him correctly. More than that I don't know..
Ask him for his VIN so that you can obtain his Datacard. That will identify what he had as a starting point

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, so he have had an ide after finding some pics of it online. Apparently he didn’t connect #5 or #7.

Although, where would you find +5V in the car!? So I’m thinking power out?

But do you connect that to NTG somewhere?
Font Line Recreation Sports equipment Auto part

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So the wheel works in the NTG app->Navigation, but nowhere else!

There’s also an option in Factory that talks about the protocol type. Tried all of them, but no change.

Then there’s other optionsthay I don’t know what they’re for..

Mobile phone Telephone Telephony Communication Device Gadget

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Communication Device Gadget

Hood Automotive lighting Gadget Audio equipment Automotive tire

·
*Administrator (Premium Member)
40,843 Posts
Not entirely sure. It's a R172 250cdi if I understood him correctly. More than that I don't know..
Did you confirm year/model?
Helps responders as not for your car.

@Trev5 @VII7

So the wheel works in the NTG app->Navigation, but nowhere else!

There’s also an option in Factory that talks about the protocol type. Tried all of them, but no change.

Then there’s other optionsthay I don’t know what they’re for..

View attachment 613330
View attachment 613332
View attachment 613331

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
The sound from the (built-in) CD changer, Radio etc work fine.

However, the audio from the Android music app doesn’t work.

Now that we got the wheel working,we could go in to the NTG system, set it to Audio->Aux (also tried USB), but still no go..

From what we could tell, the ”Audio Out” cable from the Android unit goes through the console into the glove box, via a short special cable into the USB contact in there.

I’m not entitely sure where exactly it goes next, but to the NTG system is a good guess :). Unless it goes through a media interface like in the R171.. ?

·
**Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
2,925 Posts
@Col ok, so you where right, swapping it from ”B” to ”A” got the wheel working and with a bit fine tuning in the settings, it works perfectly!

View attachment 613337
Never in doubt lol! 😂
So you got the screen to display properly too by the looks of it. Was that the resolution setting under “Car Display” in the “Factory Settings” menu? These screens are made with a multitude of settings for lots of different models so it can take a fair bit of setting up. Glad you sorted it anyway. For the audio in from the unit you have to connect to the media interface if the equipped typically using the MMI adaptor and a 3.5mm jack cable. Some screens support audio input via usb or Bluetooth too. I have my own connected using Bluetooth because the audio quality is better. One other point that may help is that on most of these screens you need to tell the screen where the chosen audio input channel is on the factory menu. To do this you select the menu column number and a row number for where it is on the pull down list. Think of it like a grid reference.

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have my own connected using Bluetooth because the audio quality is better.

One other point that may help is that on most of these screens you need to tell the screen where the chosen audio input channel is on the factory menu. To do this you select the menu column number and a row number for where it is on the pull down list. Think of it like a grid reference.
Could you please elaborate on this? Didn’t quite understand what I’m supposed to do..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts