Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The halogen headlamps are set low from the factory and perform pretty poorly as a result.

To adjust them, proceed as follows:

Make sure the adjustment wheel next to the headlamp switch is set to its highest point.
Obtain a standard 6mm allen key.
Locate the hole just above the headlamp as shown in the picture.
Insert the allen key and locate it into the adjuster (this is easy - it will be obvious when it engages)
Turn on the headlamps and shine them on a wall.
Turn the allen key anti clockwise to raise the aim. I turned mine 1.5 turns from the factory adjustment point to get to the desired aim. Remember you can always use the adjustment wheel next to the headlamp switch when trying them out.

IMPORTANT!

Remove the allen key before closing your bonnet!

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks SL - only driven the SLK a couple of times in the dark - but by God, those headlights are dreadful!!!

I'll dig the allen key out and hopefully get some use out of them.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
The headlamp aim has to be properly aligned by a mot headlamp beam tester .

Yes you can adjust yourself but you maybe charged on both headlights to re align them at a cost . :wink:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just a quick update - I had the Night Breakers fitted a few weeks ago and we also adjusted the beam up a tad.

It's better but still a long way short of what I had in my old E Class.

I'll prob have a go at the 65w lamps as mentioned by Still Learning.

I've done a search on the HID upgrades and there seems to be two strong for and against camps. Can't afford to chuck my warranty away though!

·
Registered
119 Posts
headlamp aim /bulb replacement

I Have just done both and can confirm a big improvement, now i can actually see even in the horrible misty rain this morning. As far as the mot is concerned you could count how many turns you adjust by, make a note and change it back for the MOT, tester happy and more importantly you can see where your going!
It cost me £25 for the Filaments (bulbs) and about 1/2 hour in time.:smile:

·
Registered
111 Posts
I Have just done both and can confirm a big improvement, now i can actually see even in the horrible misty rain this morning. As far as the mot is concerned you could count how many turns you adjust by, make a note and change it back for the MOT, tester happy and more importantly you can see where your going!
It cost me £25 for the Filaments (bulbs) and about 1/2 hour in time.:smile:
Morning Fish - so just to confirm you went with the 65w yes?

Did you do dip and main beam?

Glad you can see now!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would like to try to raise my halogen beams to the correct level. What sort of test rig should I use? Shining the beams at a wall....how far away and at what height should the centre (or cut-off) of the beam be set to? Or is it simply best to raise the beam a little each time and try them out on a dark night? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Try one turn anticlockwise to start with and go for a drive. Add another anticlockwise turn if necessary.

Don't worry about the wall. I only said shine them on a wall so it is possible to see the beams raising as you turn the allen key.

Remember you can always adjust them down from inside the car by using the rotary dial near the headlamp switch.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thank you Still Learning, I will go ahead and try your suggestion. On my car, unfortunately I do not have the headlamp leveling rotary dial next to the headlamp switch. So will try a small manual adjustment with the 6mm allen key and see what happens.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.