Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered 2014 SLK200
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just bought my 2014 SLK R172 today. It's got ambient lighting, but i was surprised it's not got footwell lights nor puddle lights like my basic R171 had! Are these available as a separate lighting package?

I'd like to retrofit some. Has anyone tried? Where is best / easiest to get power without errors?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,921 Posts
Great! please update this:
2006 SLK200

·
94,921 Posts
r171 never had puddle lights
footwell lights were part of the illimination package

have you really looked for the footwell lights? tough to see in daylight though always on
what does your datacard say about that option?

·
Registered 2008 SLK280
502 Posts
Sorry to differ Jeff but according to the ecp puddle lights were available - requires a cable from the door control unit down to the light fitted in the base of the door liner and the coding is as per the lighting package.....which I have recently installed.

·
Registered 2014 SLK200
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes my R171 definitely had footwell and puddle lights but not much else as far as extras. This R172 AMG has loads of extras, but surprisingly neither. Where's easiest to get power for retrofitting footwell LEDs?

·
94,921 Posts
i'm not perfect...there should be an option on his r171 datacard for it unless po added it 3rd party, no?

·
Registered 2014 SLK200
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
No I think they were factory fitted on my R171. I fitted orange led footwell lights to my R170 10 years ago and found 2 spare strips which I can add to my R172 (see attached pic). But where do I get power? Anyone know? The recesses are there for footwell lights, but would the cables be in behind somewhere possibly?

·
94,921 Posts
until someone responds
maybe same location as these lighted door sills

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK350
1,063 Posts
For R172s, puddle lights and footwell lighting are part of the Lighting Package (877) and the Interior Light Assembly (876). Do you have these options in your datacard?

·
Registered 2014 SLK200
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Many thanks Jeff. 😁👍 Would this wiring be the same as in my R172?

·
Registered 2014 SLK200
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi B8... No I've the ambient lighting pack but not the puddle lights or footwell lights. Reading on here, it seems to be tricky to retrofit puddle lights in the wing mirrors, so I'll forget that idea... But I'd like to retrofit footwell lights...

·
94,921 Posts
not the expert. just the scrounger of stuff

·
Registered 2014 SLK200
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jeff- you've been the font of all knowledge with my endless questions on the R170 & R171! You helped me out numerous times! But you can't know EVERYTHING! I've found the how-to guides on here brilliant for both R170 & R171. There doesn't seem to be the same available for the R172?

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK350
1,063 Posts
@Col have added interior illumination to his car so will know of the connections you need for LEDs in the footwell. Also @VII7 is a fountain of knowledge on all things R172, he will be by soon as well... @Windinmyhair may already have your answer as well, and should stop in here shortly...

·
Registered 2014 SLK200
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Poised on the edge of me seat (sofa) awaiting the experts with answers. 😉 I'm scared to start this job without expert advice as I've only owned the car a few days.

·
Premium Member 2018 SLC43
2,466 Posts
These are what the Footwell Lights look like on the Face Lift R172 - Passenger side:

And the Driver side:

Car is parked in the garage so not able to check in depth, but from the colour temperature, I'm guessing they are LED and look very similar to the LED light module in the boot/trunk.
These Footwell Lights come on the same time as the standard interior lighting and can be turn off with the over head console switch, the same as the interior lighting:

Though not sure if they glow very dim, as the R171 Footwell Lights did, while driving?
But the "Ambient Lighting" strips would cover that I guess?

So it may be possible just to wire up some Footwell lights to the lighting circuit at the top of the "A" pillar??
But MB hardly ever put in extra wires, for options not fitted....

If You want to order Footwell Lights parts:
This is a Vin number for a Face Lift R172 that has "Lighting Package" - WDD1724662F152581
(Though would be worth checking a Vin on a pre Face Lift R172?)

For R172s, puddle lights and footwell lighting are part of the Lighting Package (877) and the Interior Light Assembly (876).
These are the UK R172 - MY2015 Lighting Options:

·
Registered 2014 SLK200
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Many thanks Trev. That's very useful. I'm happy if my footwell lights come on with my ambient lighting. The led strips I have are a mellow glow, so can stay on. Removing the leather sock around the gear stick reveals a pair of quite fine blue & brown wires feeding the ambient lighting on the side of the centre console. (assuming they are just 12v). Not sure if I can branch off that to power my led strips without throwing up an error?? 😬

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
2,468 Posts
Many thanks Trev. That's very useful. I'm happy if my footwell lights come on with my ambient lighting. The led strips I have are a mellow glow, so can stay on. Removing the leather sock around the gear stick reveals a pair of quite fine blue & brown wires feeding the ambient lighting on the side of the centre console. (assuming they are just 12v). Not sure if I can branch off that to power my led strips without throwing up an error?? 😬
Hi Juls, sounds like you’ve got option code 877 but not 876! On my car I had 876 the interior lighting package which adds footwell lights, lights at the top of the A pillars and also activates the courtesy lights in the exterior mirror bases.
I retrofitted ambient lighting code 877 in my car but went my own way with the wiring. You could use the wires for your ambient lighting if the leds you’re using can be dimmed. You can then set the brightness level along with the existing lights.
I used the instrument back lighting circuit a grey wire with a thin blue stripe if memory serves. Using that circuit you can dim your lights along with all the back lighting by turning the manual dimmer control on the instrument cluster but you cannot turn them off. Hope this helps.
Col

·
Registered 2014 SLK200
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Col. Yes you're absolutely right about the options I have / haven't. I heard retrofitting the courtesy lights in the wing mirrors is a nightmare, so I'll not bother with them! I've not seen the lights atop the A pillars or the result they give. Can you upload pics? I'm not worried about dimming my led strips as they're not that bright. I'm more concerned about generating errors. That grey wire with blue stripe to the instrument cluster- is it easy to access from under the dashboard?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts