Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member 2018 SLC43
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having installed the ”CTEK Comfort Indicator” on My R171/350:
>> CTEK Comfort Indicator Details: https://www.amazon.co.uk/CTEK-Indicator-eyelet-practical-indication/dp/B002MT8S7E/ref=sr_1_1?

I’m now looking at installing one on My R172/SLC, rather than just using the supplied CTEK Crock Clips:
(Un-clip the cover at the front & flipping the cover over, allows the bonnet to be closed!)

Looking in the SLC Battery Bay, not looking that easy to Install the CTEK Comfort Indicator here.. :|
Two thick positive leads leave the Battery Bay, one on the left drops down to the back of the Engine.
....and the one at the front is hard to trace, but I reckon routes around the front of the Engine to the “Jump Point”?

Question One: Out of interest, anyone know what the Sensor on the Negative & Red box on the Positive terminal do?

Looking back at the “SLC Jump Point” which is the side of the car I want to really plug the CTEK charger into, as the charger mains lead then hangs over the driver’s door mirror & saves one driving off while still connected...!

Leads “1” & “3” seem to go straight to the RHD fuse box
Lead “4” I’m guessing goes back around the front of the Engine to the Battery Bay?

Question Two: So what’s new in the R172 that the “Jump Point” module has this connector “2” with the 4 wire plug...?
Measuring the voltages, points “1”, “3” & “4” all have identical voltages when the car is locked & gone to sleep...
Due to how tight it is under the “Jump Point” cover, connector “3” to look the best terminal to connect to:

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK200
2,489 Posts
On my R172 I think I have used terminal 3 for +V Trev. I made a 'half nut' by cutting off about half the threads from an [8mm?] Nyloc nut. Meant that I could just piggy-back over the existing nut thereby negating the need to remove the existing nut. I attached the -ve to the stud under your label #2 .
I have plans to create a 'remote' method of connection for the CTEK that I can access from the outside without having to lift the bonnet, similar to a block heater connector, but hidden. Will be doing that at some point over the winter.

·
Registered 2011 SLK350
93 Posts
I may have completely missed your point her (in which case please excuse my general thickness) but on my R172 I simply used the supplied connectors that came with my CTEK charger and connected them direct to the battery. I then allowed the CTEK plug adaptor wire to travel through an existing grommet in the battery compartment to enable me to quickly and easily connect it up to the charger. Job Done.

Barry :nerd:

·
2,489 Posts
I may have completely missed your point her (in which case please excuse my general thickness) but on my R172 I simply used the supplied connectors that came with my CTEK charger and connected them direct to the battery. I then allowed the CTEK plug adaptor wire to travel through an existing grommet in the battery compartment to enable me to quickly and easily connect it up to the charger. Job Done.

Barry :nerd:
Yup, that's another way to do it but Trev's method means that there is no need to ferret around getting to the battery.
Both methods work:smile:

·
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I may have completely missed your point her (in which case please excuse my general thickness) but on my R172 I simply used the supplied connectors that came with my CTEK charger and connected them direct to the battery. I then allowed the CTEK plug adaptor wire to travel through an existing grommet in the battery compartment to enable me to quickly and easily connect it up to the charger. Job Done. Barry :nerd:
Yes, that is another way of doing it:
But as the car is currently reversed into a UK garage, it is tight against the N/S wall so to speak....
So can't access the CTEK connector very easily on that side of the car.

The other advantage of the CTEK Comfort Indicator is that it's fused & gives a quick visual check on the battery & alternator if the engine is running..!! :tu:

I only top the battery up now & again in the summer, but in the winter when the car is only occasionally used, I have used a 2.5m CTEK extension Lead: (Expensive for what it is.. £££)
>> CTEK 2.5m Lead: https://www.amazon.co.uk/CTEK-Connect-2-5M-Extension-charger/dp/B00ADIHUVG/ref=sr_1_1?
So that it sits in the tray at the bottom O/S of the wind screen, not water proof, but ok for quick spin out, with out messing around under the bonnet....

Attachments

·
Registered 2011 Opal Red SLK 200
32 Posts
Not an expert but I've just had my Positive terminal cable replaced and I believe that the Red (positive) is a Thermo coupling which in the event of an accident Pyrothorically disconnects the battery from the engine to remove power. Or something like that

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
2,643 Posts
I have used stud number 3 on the jump post to connect the positive wire of my quick connect also! The item on the negative battery terminal is the battery sensor used by the ECO function. It was the cable on the flying lead plugged into it which was the source of my ECO woes last year!

·
2,643 Posts
@Trev5 do you really use the floor space of the garage between the wheels of your car as storage? :surprise::laugh:

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
14,773 Posts
@Trev5 do you really use the floor space of the garage between the wheels of your car as storage? :surprise::laugh:
You mean you don't :surprise: ?

·
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Correct - Two ladders....!!! :nerd:
Not a fan of hanging them from the garage roof, over My SLK.....

·
2,643 Posts
You mean you don't :surprise: ?
Can't even get a car in my garage anymore Len! I converted it into a home cinema many years ago! Now it's become a dumping ground for other stuff! :crying:

Correct - Two ladders....!!! :nerd:
Not a fan of hanging them from the garage roof, over My SLK.....

Given those storage options I can see your logic Trev! :laugh:

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
14,773 Posts
I'm slowly losing space but there will always be room for Schwarzie :wink:

We're now storing my son's couch till he moves in about 4 months. I park S on one side of the garage backed in so I have room for the snow blower on the other side. When (ever) spring comes, he has to come back (45 min away) to move it to the other side of the garage. Not happy about that but hey, free storage so he can't complain :tu:

·
Registered 2013 SLK250
12 Posts
I don't know what terminal 4 is used for in other cars, but mine is vacant, and since it does show the same voltage as 1 and 3 all the time, is it possible to just use the M8 locknut and secure the connection to 4.

·
2,489 Posts
@Raypro
Using terminal 3 just makes routing the wire neater. I fashioned a 'half-nut' from the top half of a standard Nyloc and piggy-backed onto the nut already on terminal 3. No need to disconnect anything that way.

·
Registered 2013 SLK250
12 Posts
In my situation, I don't even have enough thread for a half nut on terminal 3. I was hoping someone knew what terminal 4 was used for and if it is advisable to use it for the positive connection to the battery tender. It looks to be an additional fused terminal for other accessories but I don't know for sure.

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,099 Posts
Why do people not connect directly to the battery its so much simpler and direct. ?

·
Registered 2013 SLK250
12 Posts
I really appreciate the comments, and agree that connecting directly to the battery is a much cleaner way of attaching the battery tender cables, but the access to this prefused distribution block (or whatever it is called) is much easier than the battery. Flip up the panel and the the terminals are all exposed. Making the connection with ring type terminals sure beats using the alligator clamps. My only question is if connecting to the terminal described in the original post as terminal 4 is a good way to do this. In my case is seems to be, if there are no other electrical complications.

·
2,489 Posts
@Raypro
Just curious why terminal '3' is a no go?
I only used a 'half nut' to avoid taking the existing nut off. I believe Trev5 simply used the original nut. Have you got something else connected there already?

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,099 Posts
I really appreciate the comments, and agree that connecting directly to the battery is a much cleaner way of attaching the battery tender cables, but the access to this prefused distribution block (or whatever it is called) is much easier than the battery. Flip up the panel and the the terminals are all exposed. Making the connection with ring type terminals sure beats using the alligator clamps. My only question is if connecting to the terminal described in the original post as terminal 4 is a good way to do this. In my case is seems to be, if there are no other electrical complications.
The supplied cable with ring terminal ends + and - connects straight on to the battery 10mm bolts of the possitive and negative terminals .

Then so called routed through battery compartment neat tidy finish no cables showing as such .

This one was a 171 model fitment .

Attachments

1 - 20 of 48 Posts