Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
*Registered
2015 SLK200
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

This is my first post in this forum, so play nice :)

I was attempting to of change my standard tilt-to-dip rear view mirror to an auto diming rear view mirror.
I started to take the trim off around the mirror connecting to the windscreen to expose the fixing. All went well, however, the cable that connects to the mirror is above the built-in sunglasses holder. Even after removing the two screws in the sunglasses compartment I was unable to remove the sunglasses holder from the roof to expose the rear view mirror connector.

Can anyone please share how to remove the sunglasses holder from the roof? Has anyone else changed the rear view mirror to an auto diming mirror?

Thanks In advance,
Suresh

·
*Registered
2015 SLK200
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where did you source the auto dip mirror?

I’ve been searching for ages…
Hi GreenmanSLK,

I sourced the auto dipping mirror from Ebay by searching for "SLC" models. I am assuming they are very similar cars and the part should be compatible. My car is a late 2015 model.

·
*Registered
2015 SLK200
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello All,

Today I managed to swap out the manual rear view mirror to an auto dipping one. Below were the steps with some pics.

1) Remove the screw that holds the sun visor clip near the centre console from both sides and loosen the screws on the sun visor edge clip
Mirror Hand Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive mirror

Hood Light Bumper Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

2) Remove the cover from the rain sensor section by pulling it forward towards the bonnet (hood) and pull the secondary switch panel above the mirror downwards.
3) Remove the two screws in the sun glasses holder and gently pull down the centre console from the roof, there is a clip that holds it.
Grille Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

4) Unclip the wire to the mirror
Hood Finger Motor vehicle Personal luxury car Auto part

5) Now the tricky bit - removing the rear view mirror. To do this you need some sort of grip pilers to rotate the review view mirror bracket 90 degrees anti-clockwise. I used the following grip pilers with tape around the teeth to avoid scratching the rear view mirror bracket.
Light Motor vehicle Yellow Bicycle part Automotive tire

6) Once the mirror was off then it it was just a tricky to install the new mirror.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive lighting

7) Here is the nut the mirror fasten to. You need to hold the mirror firm to the nut and gently rotate 90 degrees clockwise
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Trunk Automotive exterior

8) The auto dipping mirror came with two wires, one was the same a the manual one and I connected it back, the second wire I guessed goes to the centre console module, it was colour coded for the connectors. I placed it in the empty white socket (second from the left)
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Vehicle door

9) Then it was a matter of just putting every back together
Mirror Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Plant

I have not tried it yet as it was time for a tea break. :coffee:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts