Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many have commented about how the plastic c pillar trim gets scratched easily or delaminates. I decided to re-wrap my c pillar trim in carbon fiber vinyl, because when I did it the first time, I just used an Xacto knife to cut around the edges rather than wrapping them underneath. The CF vinyl had started to come off, as I would catch it with my towel when drying the car. Having read the posts about how delicate the pieces are, I decided to buy new trim pieces and wrap them first, before taking off old ones. I'm glad I did because I broke one of the pieces trying to remove it using the r171 instructions. My search here didn't turn up instructions for the r172, so I thought I'd give a few tips.

It is much easier than the r171 instructions. It takes all of 30 seconds when you know what you are doing, and the only special tool required is John's Broomstick (http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r171-class-diy/13187-diy-r171-holding-roof-open-broomstick-modification.html)to) to prop the roof up about 16 inches. Once the roof is propped, you just pull up on the inner, bottom corner until it clicks, then push the plastic trim piece down from the top until the tab disengages from the slot. Once off, you can wrap the piece (or paint it, or simply replace it). To reattach, just position the piece and apply some pressure at the top to engage the tab into the slot while sliding up. Then push down on inner bottom corner until it clicks into place.

BTW - while the top is propped up, go ahead and gummi pflege those rubber seals.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Many have commented about how the plastic c pillar trim gets scratched easily or delaminates. I decided to re-wrap my c pillar trim in carbon fiber vinyl, because when I did it the first time, I just used an Xacto knife to cut around the edges rather than wrapping them underneath. The CF vinyl had started to come off, as I would catch it with my towel when drying the car. Having read the posts about how delicate the pieces are, I decided to buy new trim pieces and wrap them first, before taking off old ones. I'm glad I did because I broke one of the pieces trying to remove it using the r171 instructions. My search here didn't turn up instructions for the r172, so I thought I'd give a few tips.

It is much easier than the r171 instructions. It takes all of 30 seconds when you know what you are doing, and the only special tool required is John's Broomstick (http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r171-class-diy/13187-diy-r171-holding-roof-open-broomstick-modification.html)to) to prop the roof up about 16 inches. Once the roof is propped, you just pull up on the inner, bottom corner until it clicks, then push the plastic trim piece down from the top until the tab disengages from the slot. Once off, you can wrap the piece (or paint it, or simply replace it). To reattach, just position the piece and apply some pressure at the top to engage the tab into the slot while sliding up. Then push down on inner bottom corner until it clicks into place.

BTW - while the top is propped up, go ahead and gummi pflege those rubber seals.
Thanks for posting this.
When I replaced one of these panels on the R171 I owned then, the hardest part was dealing with the adhesive holding the part in place.
Appears that is no longer a problem :smile:

·
Registered
866 Posts
, because when I did it the first time, I just used an Xacto knife to cut around the edges rather than wrapping them underneath. The CF vinyl had started to come off, as I would catch it with my towel when drying the car."

:laugh: I did the same thing when I wrapped mine, plus it would get so hot there in the sun the wrap would take on the texture of the adhesive underneath and look like crap. I pulled it off and after looking at it again I like it better with out it. So how much for the trim pieces? I may look into laminating mine w real CF or buying some real CF pieces of good quality.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The trim pieces were about $90 for both.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Both of my plastic c pillar trims were de-laminated but after a recent trip out to Kirby Lonsdale, I noticed what originally looked liked small insects but quickly realised they were tiny scratches all over both pillars after one journey!. I ordered replacement trims on the 1st July from https://www.getmercedesparts.com using the part numbers and my VIN number and they were initially shipped to a US address (the company does not ship overseas) so I managed to find someone prepared to repackage and ship across here to the UK where they arrived today.

1727950155/1727950055 - Trim cover Left/Right $46.50 x2 and I've been billed £85 which I think includes an element of shipping to the US address I gave. There was also the cost of re-packing (the container box was very flimsy) and shipping to UK $50

My plan is to remove the existing trims and try wrapping them in CF and re-fit them. if they hold up and I like them then they can stay on for now but the new replacement ones are there if I need it or when its time to replace the car. I'll let you know how I get on but thanks to previous posters for the valuable information.

Attachments

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,522 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Finally I got around to this after managing to get hold of some wood for a prop. I stuck with my original plan and after making two makeshift wooden props I followed the previous instructions and easily slid off the two damaged C Pillar plastic trims. Cleaned both trims and also the area I removed them from the car and also took the opportunity to clean and gummi pflege all the seals. Cut out the CF and wrapped them around the trims before sliding them both back in place. I have to say they really look great a lot better than I dared bargain for. I've kept the two new replacements trims I ordered but even if if the two CF wrapped trims on the car start peeling I think I'll replace them with CF it is an easy fix and they look terrific. Again my appreciation to previous posters for the valuable information on this.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Finally I got around to this after managing to get hold of some wood for a prop. I stuck with my original plan and after making two makeshift wooden props I followed the previous instructions and easily slid off the two damaged C Pillar plastic trims. Cleaned both trims and also the area I removed them from the car and also took the opportunity to clean and gummi pflege all the seals. Cut out the CF and wrapped them around the trims before sliding them both back in place. I have to say they really look great a lot better than I dared bargain for. I've kept the two new replacements trims I ordered but even if if the two CF wrapped trims on the car start peeling I think I'll replace them with CF it is an easy fix and they look terrific. Again my appreciation to previous posters for the valuable information on this.
That looks pretty good mate. Good thing to know about too. Where did you get your CF Vinyl? I've seen some on Fleabay but unsure how good it is

·
Registered
28 Posts
The CF I ordered on ebay is here the size was 750mm x 300mm. Quality was better than another cheaper roll I sourced. However since wrapping on Sunday I have had 3 small bubbles appear on the RH pillar which I dealt with today. I'll need to keep an eye on whether this particular CF is going to be robust enough for external covering.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The CF I ordered on ebay is here the size was 750mm x 300mm. Quality was better than another cheaper roll I sourced. However since wrapping on Sunday I have had 3 small bubbles appear on the RH pillar which I dealt with today. I'll need to keep an eye on whether this particular CF is going to be robust enough for external covering.
Good luck, I hope it holds up and thanks for the link & update

·
Registered
303 Posts
If your car is still under warranty the dealership may replace this for free. My c pillars were looking pretty bad but I didn't want to go the carbon fiber route if I can get them replaced for free, so I dropped the car off with them today and should get it back shortly. Hopefully this helps someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Thanks for that I'm outside of the warranty. Just a thought why not ask to keep the old trims then you can try and cover with CF and see what you think and still keep your new ones - best of both world's. They are very easy to change over and snap into place.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts