Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered 2013 SLK350
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting incident on my ride this afternoon. There's been a bit of a "clunk" in the front end of my 350 Sport since I bought it last year. It actually seemed to go away on it's own, and I'd not heard it for months. This afternoon, coming off an 85 MPH run on the tollwaay, I'd had the music going loud enough to mask extraneous sounds, but then turned it off. Therre was a fairly loud clunking when driving, and a grinding when I hit the brakes. I was close enough to home to limp back into the garage, and got a light on the front end. Sure enough, as I looked inside the left front wheel I saw a scratched line where it appeared the caliper had rubbed it.
So here's me hoping like hell it's a simple inexpensive fix- like a mounting bolt was loose and finally let go. I'll tear into it tomorrow, as I'm freshly retired and have a lot more time than money!

·
Registered 2013 SLK350
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like time for new stuff
Naw- simple fix, hard to find parts- after a major hassle getting the wheel off (it was stuck on the hub) I found that the top mounting bolt had, in fact, left the building. Then multiple stops trying to find the bolt, I pulled into O'Reillly's and they ordered it for me- same day service. I'll be back up and running by 6pm.

·
Registered 2007 SLK350
562 Posts
Moral of the story, dont ignore ANY issues with the brakes!

Stuck wheel inicates lack of brake maintenance! When was the wheel last removed?

Glad nothing too seriouse occured and it is a painless repair. Maybe a brake service/inspection is in order :)

·
Registered 2013 SLK350
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pads appear to be new- while the car had 77k miles when we got it. It appears that both bolts holding the caliper on were somewhat loose, therefore, I'm assuming whomever replaced the pads before we got it did a poor job.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts