Mercedes SLK World banner

21 - 40 of 96 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
Mine came with the lower grill too Col, as CKS performance thought that the two grills on my car were actually one piece. (They checked on the MB parts listing)

They mentioned that non AMG style cars may have a different arrangement up front. Anyway, I didn’t need the lower grill.

A point to note is that I’m not sure there’s any need to remove the undertray as mentioned in the video instructions. There are 12 bolts in all to remove, 2 x 10mm in the top of each wheelarch and 4 x 8mm on the top edge with another 4 x 8mm at the bottom, along with 6 expansion clips, 2 in each wheel arch and 2 at the bottom of the bumper. Then, once the bumper is loosened, just disconnect two small connectors, one on each side and one larger one on the drivers side (for us Brits anyhow!)

Incidentally I had to rotate the two parking sensors 180 degrees as they wouldn’t fit the other way in the new grill.
Thanks for the tips! I’ll post again here when the grille arrives. What are the connectors for? DRLs and headlamp washers??

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
Got my hands dirty today fitting my grille! Unfortunately had to rush out shortly afterwards and didn’t get any daylight photos yet but did take these floodlit pics on my drive just now!

Like you @Rv8 I had to rotate the parking sensors 180 degrees to fit them. Thought the fit is pretty good although found the star a bit too snug fitting!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
I know this is an old thread but thought you guys may be interested in this Diamond grill for the R172. I came across it while browsing Aliexpress for a carbon boot spoiler. It is the 4th picture in the line.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000187483283.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.16205d684os1Bs&algo_pvid=cda88072-ec95-4374-8920-df1047a6f1d9&algo_expid=cda88072-ec95-4374-8920-df1047a6f1d9-51&btsid=68626de3-d083-4f66-ac06-db00666c504c&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_6,searchweb201603_52

Happy Shopping:wink:
Placed an order for the Diamond Grill version today. Will see what it looks like when it gets here. Including shipping, it was $268. Not bad... and if I don't like it, it's not that much loss either way.

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
Placed an order for the Diamond Grill version today. Will see what it looks like when it gets here. Including shipping, it was $268. Not bad... and if I don't like it, it's not that much loss either way.
Look forward to seeing the transformation! :smile:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Look forward to seeing the transformation! :smile:
I think you finally have a front look that fits the moniker - that look on your car is "mean-ish"... Me likey :grin:>:D

BTW, @Col, how much PITA was the installation? Gives me an idea of what to pay an installer...

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Looks great! I have a full black version on it’s way! I ordered it a couple of weeks ago when the link above was posted! Looks like it’s a very good fit! It’s great they finally did a version for our cars, complete with parking sensor holes etc. Glad I held out and didn’t buy the C-Class version.

I think it should arrive this week sometime so I may be able to fit it next weekend! The seller sent me a photo as it was being packaged suggesting that it also comes with the lower grille.

It looks really stylish and mean >:D

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
I think you finally have a front look that fits the moniker - that look on your car is "mean-ish"... Me likey :grin:>:D

BTW, @Col, how much PITA was the installation? Gives me an idea of what to pay an installer...
It took a little bit longer than I expected but I had extra complications due to my light bar and front camera wiring that also needed to be relocated. About 3 hours is about right! Those snap hooks are a bitch to disengage when removing the OE grille and I had some fun and games fitting the new one too but other than that it's fairly straight forward.

It looks really stylish and mean >:D
It's fitted and pics are in the thread on page 2. :smile:

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Seller on Alibaba (Huan Yu Tuning) confirms this is a 2-piece kit (top and bottom grill inserts), and shipping is tomorrow for receipt by Oct 20th. I should have this installed immediately thereafter... Looking to see the transformation as in below...

SLC_vs_SLK.jpg

Anyone know if the grill star in the SLC (diamond grill) is same size as the one in the SLK (honeycomb grill)? I am assuming YES and that I won't need to buy a new star emblem to fit this new grill.

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
Seller on Alibaba (Huan Yu Tuning) confirms this is a 2-piece kit (top and bottom grill inserts), and shipping is tomorrow for receipt by Oct 20th. I should have this installed immediately thereafter... Looking to see the transformation as in below...

View attachment 553898

Anyone know if the grill star in the SLC (diamond grill) is same size as the one in the SLK (honeycomb grill)? I am assuming YES and that I won't need to buy a new star emblem to fit this new grill.
As I alluded to in my previous post, the SLK star fit in my new grille but is a very snug fit! All these grilles are designed specifically for R172 SLK only and not SLCs so I see no reason why they would have designed it for an SLC star and it may be the same as the SLK as you say.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Thank you so kindly, Col.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Anyone got a pic of a black car with the pan grill with the chrome strips ,, I can only find pics of a white car or col’s car ,, just want to see one on a black car before I pull the trigger ,,, thanks guys

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
So
does slc diamond grill fits perfectly to slk ?
Or does some other model can fit to SLK - c w2005 ?
The SLC grill does NOT fit into an SLK. The diamond grill in this thread is designed specifically for the R172 SLK MY2012-2016 or thereabouts.

21 - 40 of 96 Posts