Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My garbage scow has been sporadically flashing a message on the MFD to add 1.5 quarts at next fillup. Of course, according to the dipstick (and the dipstick pulling the dipstick-myself), the monster is full up. I cannot force the message, but anecdotally, it appears to happen after I have brought the vehicle up to operating temperature and take some curves where the oil goes back and forth, you all know the type, “S“ curves. I have a warranty that will replace the sensor if I can prove that the sensor itself is the problem. The stealership is of course, no use. what I would like to know, if anybody out there has an AMG 55 R172 and STAR/DAS, is there a way to get a numeric reading from the oil level sensor and what should it be? I am making a major assumption that the oil level sensor is not a fail/pass type unit, and it actually generates a numeric value indicating level. The more numbers you can get the better (hot, cold, full – etc.) I have a suspicion that the calibration is off on the unit, so that when it gets to a level that’s a little bit less then completely full it’s reading low. Obviously, I can’t re-calibrate the sensor but if I can show that the full level is not where it should be even though it’s full, it’s a bad sensor. I would like to have this information before I talk to the (ahem) ”individuals” at the dealership. Shot in the dark here, but it’s worth a try, if you don’t ask you don’t know.

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK350
4,299 Posts
I will :
Tell the dealer to take it for a drive with me and xentry connected and watched the values then check the dip stick and show them that is full and the sensor is reading wrong
Do an update on engine ecu and see if the problem is still there.

·
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will :
Tell the dealer to take it for a drive with me and xentry connected and watched the values then check the dip stick and show them that is full and the sensor is reading wrong
Do an update on engine ecu and see if the problem is still there.
Engine ECU update has been done. Oil dipstick shows full. And the dealer doesn’t know what xentry will show when plugged in, but wants to charge me to plug it in. They don’t know if it shows pass fail or a value. The problem is intermittent and it may not show up as a fail but they will still charge me. That’s why I want to know what they will see when it’s plugged into the computer if it’s a good unit.

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK350
4,299 Posts
If the sensor is playing up but is not dead then you will waste your money.
This is how it should look and what to do if the values are not ok.

Attachments

·
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the oil level sensor is a binary device? It is either adequate or not adequate level. It does not show a relative level? Does the 55 use the same sensor set up?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts