Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
*Registered
2015 SLK250 CDI
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I have damaged vent fins in my Air Scarf grille. It really annoys me and my eyes are constantly drawn to it. The headrest can only be ordered complete. Has anyone successfully unclipped the grille and refitted a replacement? My fear is that it is glued to the air duct and I could make the problem worse.

Thanks
Neil

Car Vehicle Automotive design Beige Comfort

·
Founding Member 2006
114,399 Posts
post your vin
get free datacard and i can see if it is a separate part

·
*Registered
2015 SLK250 CDI
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the offer.

WDD1724032F101746

I actually work in sales with an MB commercial dealership so I have access to EPC and Xentry. Its my first 172 series so we don't have the experience of the seat frames. I have contacted Lear for advice, but no response yet.

Anything you might bring to the conversation would be appreciated.

Neil

·
Founding Member 2006
114,399 Posts
then u already have your datacard :D

Attachments

·
*Registered
2012 SLK200
165 Posts
@Mercman79 It is not glued, and yes you defiantly can replace it, if you can find just the vent, I doubt it though. To answer your post, the vent is connected to a right-angled duct, and clips in four places, around the perimeter. I'm sorry I didn't have time to take photos we were pressed for time. The head rest Neck-Pro was also deployed so it would make it a lot easier to replace but re-setting is hard to do, it takes a lot of brute strength to re-set. You can deploy the headrest for more access by following the below steps and then connecting a 12volt power source to the yellow plug once unplugged, black to negative and green to positive, to deploy it.
The easier option would be to buy an exact replacement, both sides are the same so try get a passenger side with less wear & Tear.
1. Make sure it's not raining or do this indoors with a lot of room to swing the door open for the side you will replace the head rest.
2. Start the car, slide the seat forward all the way and recline the seat at its most forward position especially if they are electric, then open the roof fully, turn the car off in this state.
3. Disconnect the black (- neg ) terminal on your battery make sure the terminal cannot move back and touch the battery post, cover with a rag or push the terminal way down to the side of battery.
4. Go around and turn on the car's ignition on, If you have push to start take out the silver button and insert your key, turn it clockwise, leave it there for about 1 minute to drain any stored power, then turn off and remove the key, or remove key and reinsert silver push to start button.
5. Remove the two torx screws at the bottom in the back of plastic cover of the backrest, pry out the cover from bottom at the side and once you hear a click, slide the whole cover downward this should be enough to remove it from the seat.
4. Look for the chrome headrest post and locate the one with a wire coming out of it, follow it down to a yellow plug and unplug the socket freeing the head rest wire.
5. Go to the head rest and pull it as far out as you can, using a small probe push back the headrest lock found at the base of inside headrest shaft cover plate it's a black oval and you will see a small tab you can push in with a small Phillips or rod, at the same time pull on the headrest and it will now come out fully, be careful not to snag the wire.
6. Installation is the reverse, and then re-set your clock/ calendar. Note: dent forget to plug the head rest yellow plug in! and smack the perimeter of the back cover to make it click back, remember to line it up and the slide it up first.
Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts