Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, replacing an air filter isn't rocket science. But it's not as easy as the good old days of just opening the airbox and sticking the new panel in.

I've just replaced my filter with a K&N for a guaranteed 127BHP gain ;)

I thought I'd take some photos for someone else who wants to do the same:

Upon opening the bonnet (or Hood for our American cousins) you need to take off the air boot. The 3 push-in clips are highlighted yellow. The 2 down the side of the air boot are easier to see in my last photo.

The air boot comes away quite easily with a wiggle. You then need to undo the 3 T-20 screws highlighted in red. These screws are captivated so don't come out all the way.

The housing with the air filter lifts up and out. You can then swap the filter. I was surprised how dirty my filter was, considering I've only done 7500miles.

The filter housing drops back in and self-locates with the 2 hinges highlited red.

It's then a case of doing up the 3 torx screws.

When refitting the air boot I found it easier to attach the front, then push the rear part into the housing on the filter box.

Attachments

·
Banned
974 Posts
I was given a Free-Flow K & N filter and asked my dealer to fit it during a service last week. Have no idea if dealer DID so because there is certainly NO difference to the engine sound and NO difference in performance. For all I know the dealer could have binned the filter.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was given a Free-Flow K & N filter and asked my dealer to fit it during a service last week. Have no idea if dealer DID so because there is certainly NO difference to the engine sound and NO difference in performance. For all I know the dealer could have binned the filter.
You could open the airbox and take a look?

I didn't put this post to open a discussion on the pros/cons/is it worth it on air filters. These discussions have been made elsewhere.

You could use this guide to replace the stock filter if you wish.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
I just ordered a K&N filter... Is he only difference it sounds better? Lol
No, it can also destroy your MAF sensor, invalidate your warranty and allow more dirt in your engine :eek: - personally, I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole.

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,522 Posts

·
93,522 Posts
The people that installed my Kleemann headers and ecu tune recommended them.

see my header thread in my sig block if u haven't yet

·
Registered
615 Posts
Hi all, I may be buying the 55 SLK AMG, does the air filter get changed the same way the 350SLK get changed in this forum. I have not yet had a look how the engine is laid out on the 55 SLK. Some pictures will be useful or a link to another forum. Also looking for spark plug change for the 55 SLK. Thanks.

·
93,522 Posts
Hi all, I may be buying the 55 SLK AMG, does the air filter get changed the same way the 350SLK get changed in this forum. I have not yet had a look how the engine is laid out on the 55 SLK. Some pictures will be useful or a link to another forum. Also looking for spark plug change for the 55 SLK. Thanks.
Diys for both procedures. I know his post is 2016 but he is still an active member

·
93,522 Posts
I'm after the same info on changing the air filter on 250 CDI (R172) did you get any replies? Does any one have any pics how to do this?
pics in post 1 above not good enuff? :D

From white rabbit:
The r172 350 (V6) only has one air filter that is easily replaced without removing the top engine cover

·
93,522 Posts
I stay away from oiled filters

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.