Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my otherhalf has a 2012 R172 55. As standard it is about as loud as my mum's fiesta! So - took it for an xpipe and secondary cat delete.

The problem now is that, under load at high revs, it sounds great - everywhere else.....less so. In reality, unless I'm joining a motorway and can hold 2nd gear for a while - I never get that V8 roar. I was sat behind a C63s at the weekend and in stationary traffic his car sounded better than mine in motion!!!!

So - what next for more noise? I've been told (by infinity exhausts) that they could swap the rear boxes for free flowing stainless ones - but it would be VERY loud and drone. Now, they told me the xpipe was a massive difference and it's not - so I dont judge their ears (but love their work!!!!) So....anyone replaced the rear boxes? and is drone that big a deal? It's for driving to the pub at weekends, not sitting on the M4 for hours at 70 mph.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
3,842 Posts
The problem is that you have the flaps in the back boxes and if you take them off it will flag up codes..
You may be able to map the codes out, I’m not sure?

·
2,499 Posts
I’ve never heard an R172 with the mods yours has in person but I know the back boxes are very restrictive even compared the ones on the R171.

What you’re calling secondary cats are actually small resonators. My car still has those fitted at present although I’m considering taking them out. I have two rear exhaust sections, the original one and a modified one which I’ve just put back on the car.

I bought it from a guy in Germany who had the centre resonator replaced with an x-pipe and the rear boxes modified internally to make them less restrictive. The flaps are still operational as on the standard system too!

Based on my experience of this system I’d say that the best way to go is to find somewhere which will modify your existing rear boxes or incorporate the flaps and actuators into some new rear boxes.

I’m hoping to go to get down to the ‘Southwest’ meet on Sunday morning if you’d like to hear my set up? I’m interested to hear what yours sounds like too as it happens! :laugh:

·
Registered 2013 SLK 55 AMG
44 Posts
Chrome-Tec Exhaust Valve Controller

I recommend this box of tricks. gives full control over the exhaust valves, as and when you require. OEM setup slowly increases opening angle dependent upon throttle, revs, load etc. Gizmo allows 3 settings - Locked OPEN, Locked CLOSED or STOCK. OPEN in ECO mode as a V4 sounds a bit weird I admit, but there's a lovely low-rpm burble now and the noise at low revs with wide throttle is rewarding. Full gas high revs is very good. Easy to fit too.

http://www.chrome-tec.com/slk-r172/sportauspuff-73/Elektronische-Zusatzsklappensteuerung-R172-55-AMG.html

·
3,842 Posts
I recommend this box of tricks. gives full control over the exhaust valves, as and when you require. OEM setup slowly increases opening angle dependent upon throttle, revs, load etc. Gizmo allows 3 settings - Locked OPEN, Locked CLOSED or STOCK. OPEN in ECO mode as a V4 sounds a bit weird I admit, but there's a lovely low-rpm burble now and the noise at low revs with wide throttle is rewarding. Full gas high revs is very good. Easy to fit too.

http://www.chrome-tec.com/slk-r172/sportauspuff-73/Elektronische-Zusatzsklappensteuerung-R172-55-AMG.html
Have you got any video or sound clips of this in action?

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
1,658 Posts
Cols with the rear boxes gutted sounds awesome. That's my next move but I am so bloody busy I just don't have time for getting the work done!

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
1,658 Posts

Sorry but €600 for what is essentially a can bus ghost box is just plain nuts!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts