Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all

It's been a while but I finally got round to seeing a R172 last weekend and now I'm fully sold on the idea of one of these vs the R171. The one I saw wasn't what I wanted spec-wise, but it was only 6 miles down the road so I went to have a look to get an idea.

Browsing today and I've found one with an almost impossibly good spec for sale locally. On closer inspection it looks to be an ex-press car as I've found a YouTube video of it being hoofed around. Would explain the fully loaded spec! Would this put you guys off?

A couple of other questions on the R172...

1 - Do the 10-spoke alloys look better in person? As they aren't immediately appealing in pictures. To my eyes the 5-spoke wheels are nicer, albeit a lot more common as also available on the 200/250/350.

2 - Do these 55s sit high or is just me? The cars always appear on stilts in pictures - the R171 looked much more 'squat' to my eyes (and I'm far from having a fascination with lowering cars).

3 - What's fire opal like in the flesh? Bit concerned it appears a bit flat.

Cheers,

Owen

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,615 Posts

·
96,615 Posts
Stay away from opal red.....

Come to the dark side of r171 55s :D

Go look at my albums :D

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
Lots of owners of a 55 lower the car. But with the Performance Package you already have a stiff ride. Installing 19" and lowering it doesn't make it more comfy on less than perfect roads.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It sold ? seems as if the good ones go very quickly indeed.

The good news is the fire has been well and truly lit. Let the search continue! Of course, if anyone has a loaded R172 55 they’re considering parting with, do let me know.

·
Registered 2013 SLK55 AMG
359 Posts
there's a couple of us in Essex with 55's, can't speak for the others but happy for you to have a close look around mine if it helps. I'm in Chelmsford, PM me if you are interested and we can sort something out

regards
neil

·
96,615 Posts

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
6,228 Posts
Hi all

It's been a while but I finally got round to seeing a R172 last weekend and now I'm fully sold on the idea of one of these vs the R171. The one I saw wasn't what I wanted spec-wise, but it was only 6 miles down the road so I went to have a look to get an idea.

Browsing today and I've found one with an almost impossibly good spec for sale locally. On closer inspection it looks to be an ex-press car as I've found a YouTube video of it being hoofed around. Would explain the fully loaded spec! Would this put you guys off?

A couple of other questions on the R172...

1 - Do the 10-spoke alloys look better in person? As they aren't immediately appealing in pictures. To my eyes the 5-spoke wheels are nicer, albeit a lot more common as also available on the 200/250/350.

2 - Do these 55s sit high or is just me? The cars always appear on stilts in pictures - the R171 looked much more 'squat' to my eyes (and I'm far from having a fascination with lowering cars).

3 - What's fire opal like in the flesh? Bit concerned it appears a bit flat.

Cheers,

Owen
Hello Owen. I called the main MB dealer in Chelmsford several weeks ago to enquire about the car they were advertising ( Fire Opal Red Reg KN12 KAU). Whoever I spoke to told me that the car was in the process of being sold and would be advertised until the deal had been completed. As it was still being advertised I visited the main MB Dealer in Chelmsford yesterday to be told that the car had been sold months ago so don't know what to think. Apparently they are having problems removing the advert. I take it you saw this being driven on YouTube by Rory Reid albeit in 2012.

As Neil a previous poster has offered you are quite welcome to have a look at mine which has the 10 spoke alloys. Regards Martin

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all.

Yes, same car and same video on YouTube too. I was told it was being collected this weekend, and had been delayed due to paint work (Fire Opal respray) under warranty.

I may well be in touch soon re seeing some local 55s. They are very few and far between - can’t move for 250 CDIs, however!

·
96,615 Posts
Russ...I am your father :D

·
Registered 2013 SLK55 AMG
359 Posts
Hello Owen. I called the main MB dealer in Chelmsford several weeks ago to enquire about the car they were advertising ( Fire Opal Red Reg KN12 KAU). Whoever I spoke to told me that the car was in the process of being sold and would be advertised until the deal had been completed. As it was still being advertised I visited the main MB Dealer in Chelmsford yesterday to be told that the car had been sold months ago so don't know what to think. Apparently they are having problems removing the advert. I take it you saw this being driven on YouTube by Rory Reid albeit in 2012.
it might be this dealer - I got mine from there and it was still being advertised for sale about 3 or 4 months after it was sitting on my drive. I suspected they did it to hook people in to them as a dealership but could be wrong. I also had an issue with them regarding fixing my recent fault, didn't get a "I want your custom" response from them and they refused to give me a quote for a specific fix. I went to the other MB service garage in Chelmsford and they were fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts