Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

In talks with my local stealers about the cracking offers on new SLK55 AMGs at the moment, just at the nitty gritty of the deal so just wondering what there are in the way of mods for the R172s?

Suspension lowering?

Exhaust?

Front Splitters / Rear Diffusers?

Remaps?

I'm not sure how much they would affect your warranty (obviously remap would void a lot) but would changing the X-pipe or removing resonators/mufflers etc just void the warranty of the exhaust or would it void certain parts of the engine's warranty?

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
103,370 Posts
Smarttop!!!

·
Premium Member-sold my '55
1,384 Posts
Since the R172 55 has an engine that is only supplied by AMG in this car there are not a lot of options out there. Vaeth.com has a package that changes the headers, air filter and does a remap which will increase output with around 50 PS. Obviously you can have the AMG option that increases top speed to 280 km/h.

If you get all the OEM options on this car there is not much to be desired. Smartop being the exception here and maybe the rear view cam. I'm almost there only DTR and ADS are on the todo list...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since the R172 55 has an engine that is only supplied by AMG in this car there are not a lot of options out there. Vaeth.com has a package that changes the headers, air filter and does a remap which will increase output with around 50 PS. Obviously you can have the AMG option that increases top speed to 280 km/h.

If you get all the OEM options on this car there is not much to be desired. Smartop being the exception here and maybe the rear view cam. I'm almost there only DTR and ADS are on the todo list...
As long as the deal goes through I've got nearly every option other than parktronic.

I'd like to be building my own car but have to take delivery before September to qualify for the dealer deposit contribution of £10k so am stuck with what's already on order.

Found a designo diamond white with the matt black wheels and red designo leather. It's got keyless go so can put the roof down with the key fob so not sure if I'll be getting smart top as that's the only feature I feel is missing on my 250.

I'd like to have the parking sensors but can put up with aftermarket.

It's even got the dashboard clock and Harmon kardon, only other missing option seems to be the magic sky which in the UK is pretty pointless as it's not as hot as over in the USA.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,411 Posts
SmartTop is still useful... it offers more functionality than the OEM option for using the key fob, and better range too (unless the R172 option is different to / better than that option on the R171). Even if you don't want to be able to operate the roof while moving (which adds convenience, not just pose value), then the one-touch operation is useful too! :D

Whatever options you go for though, it sounds like you're going to end up with an awesome car! :tu:

·
Premium Member-sold my '55
1,384 Posts
As long as the deal goes through I've got nearly every option other than parktronic.

Found a designo diamond white with the matt black wheels and red designo leather. It's got keyless go so can put the roof down with the key fob so not sure if I'll be getting smart top as that's the only feature I feel is missing on my 250.

I'd like to have the parking sensors but can put up with aftermarket.

It's even got the dashboard clock and Harmon kardon, only other missing option seems to be the magic sky which in the UK is pretty pointless as it's not as hot as over in the USA.
Clock is standard on the 55. Parktronic can be easily built in afterwards (OEM mind you) although you may have objections cutting into a new car like that.

Good choice of colors. White is not my thing, but anything other than the standard black interior earns you points.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Nice car, I hope the deal works out for you. My only real regret with my SLK purchase, was not going with the 55 from the get go. Daddy needs more HP. Not a lot of aftermarket performance upgrades for the SLK line, when compared to some other Marques, like Porsche etc. But none the less, look at Piecha and Kleeman, both have online sites detailing their offerings. The SmartTop is a nice comfort mod, easy and cheap to do. I also added a WindRestrictor for some added comfort with the top down, those little OEM fold out gadgets look cute but are not as effective as a full width block. There are also some very nice aftermarket light weight wheel options for the custom look, if that is your thing. Good Luck, let us all know what you end up with.

Cheers,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts