Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Comand Control Knob shaft broke recently which renders the zoom capability inoperative for the Navigation system. I couldn't find any videos or steps for removing the module so I've posted the procedures I followed.

Before starting, I ordered an Auto Trim Removal Kit from Amazon. (I paid about $20, but you can get a kit that has the tools you'll need for as low as $9). You can purchase a replacement for the broken shaft and replace it yourself, or you can send the entire module to a place like IE Works (you can find them on eBay) and they will replace it for $60.
1. Start by removing the small cover, then the screw in the control that raises/lowers the top; 2. Pry open the boot on the shift lever (no need to remove the boot at the top of the lever); 3. Remove the screw on each side of the shift lever; 4. Pry off the cover at the front of the storage compartment, then remove the two screws that hold down the rear of the console; 5. Pry of the front of the aluminum cover from the dash; 6. Wiggle the aluminum plate so you can slip the boot through the hole, then flip it over to access the bottom of the control module. (This is the hardest part. I had to start the engine, put the shift lever in reverse while keeping my foot on the brake. That gave me enough room to maneuver the pieces). 7. Flip the aluminum piece over so you can remove the four screws securing the module. 8. Unplug & remove the module.

After removing the module and sending it in for repair, I just slipped the aluminum cover back into place without securing it with screws or the clips. It wasn't too loose, and it did not interfere with the shift lever.

When I received the repaired module, it took less than 30 minutes to get everything back in place. Problem was resolved for about $95 (including the trim removal tools) and about 2 hours work. You could do this without ordering the tools. You could use a 2-inch putty knife, but you'd want to put tape on the blade to keep from scratching your console.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,633 Posts

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,522 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for the description and photos Jerryholt813 :tu:

Could I ask; roughly how thick is the metal part of this console? Ours has some nasty scratches caused by the careless previous owner and I would like to try sanding it to see if I can remove the marks. I wouldn't want to do this with it in place, so knowing how to remove it will be very useful, but pointless if the 'metal' is wafer thin: I have tried to locate a good secondhand replacement, but so far not had much luck and I'm sure a new one would be too expensive to consider.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Very helpful for me as I was thinking about replacing the aluminium trim as mine has a few marks where the last owner put his bunch of keys in the cup holders. I didn’t fancy breaking the trim because I hadn’t located the screws.
Thanks

Andy

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hi, When I removed mine, one of the posts that attaches underneath was broken. Luckily, it was still screwed in, even though it was detached from the trim. I used baking soda and superglue to put it back together, and that fixed my problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
3M wood grain vinyl

Has anyone tried covering this centerpiece with the 3M wood grain vinyl? Mine is pretty scratched up as well from a previous owner and I was thinking of covering it. A friend did it in his Jag and it looked very nice. He said it was very important to heat it up with a hair dryer before applying it. Didn't know if anyone else had tried it. Just asking to see if it peels up after making the bend around the sides. His was fairly at and he didn't have any problems.

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,522 Posts
bending around corners is tough
just imagine bending around the emergency brake handle?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I really think wood grain would cheepen the look of the car. Its a fairly easy process usi g a heat gun. Just do a search in you tube.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a colleague who had his centre console 'wrapped' in gunmetal vinyl to match his re-furbished wheels in the same colour, and is very pleased with the result.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Surfing the net I saw that the SLK 300 with 9G-Tronic had some peculiarities for remove the central console, I read it "distracted" but cause at the time I did not need it, now obviously I do not find the topic: whiteflag:
Do any of you have any idea how to proceed to remove the central console of a SLC or SLK 300 2015 ? :?:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts