Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question/problem. I want to restore the wheels on my r171 (2005 slk 350). Has some road rash and the clearcoat is peeling off in places. Not sure where to ask this question. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,156 Posts
I have a question/problem. I want to restore the wheels on my r171 (2005 slk 350). Has some road rash and the clearcoat is peeling off in places. Not sure where to ask this question. Thoughts?
Do you mean that you want to do this yourself, or have it done by professionals?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It depends...

I would like to do them myself, depending on whether the process is doable for me. If it turns out to be beyond my ability I'll have someone else redo them.
First I would like to know whether these are alloy, steel or aluminum wheels?
Then I'd like to know if anyone here has restored their own and what was involved?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
3,555 Posts
I can only assume they will be Aluminium (Alloy, short for Aluminium) if they are magnetic they will be steel.
You will need to rub them down to remove any raised bits and re spray.
Unless you are prepared to remove your wheels and clean them and rub down all over so as to take a new coat of paint that will last I would get them done by a professional. You may be able to find a mobile wheel refurbishment company but it may only last a year or so?
The more you pay the better it should be.....m:nerd:

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,697 Posts
I can only assume they will be Aluminium (Alloy, short for Aluminium) if they are magnetic they will be steel.
You will need to rub them down to remove any raised bits and re spray.
Unless you are prepared to remove your wheels and clean them and rub down all over so as to take a new coat of paint that will last I would get them done by a professional. You may be able to find a mobile wheel refurbishment company but it may only last a year or so?
The more you pay the better it should be.....m:nerd:
Huh? Alloy means a combination of metals (or other elements), and is derived from the Latin alligare, to ‘bind’.

With respect to aluminium, the most common elements used are copper, magnesium, manganese, silicon, tin and zinc, to produce an alloy with specific characteristics.

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
3,555 Posts
Huh? Alloy means a combination of metals (or other elements), and is derived from the Latin alligare, to ‘bind’.

With respect to aluminium, the most common elements used are copper, magnesium, manganese, silicon, tin and zinc, to produce an alloy with specific characteristics.
You are correct but people use the term Alloy to describe Aluminium style wheels as a general term without being Engineers or Scientists. Mag wheels was also used back in the 70's but people didn't have Magnesium wheels.

The Post was about how to repair the wheels on the owners car. :smile:

·
Premium Member 2018 SLC43
2,474 Posts
I had a rough granite curb "jump out" on Me while doing a few mph.... :frown:

A local mobile Alloy wheel repair person quoted ~£90 to repair it, with out taking the tyre off...

But ended up taking the single wheel (lucky I have a spare R171 wheel!) to "My Alloys" in Basingstoke who did a complete strip & re-sprayed it for £72.
They said that the lacquer was quite thick on My R171 "BBS" alloy wheels, so the actual damage to alloy wheel was minimal, which You can see in the before & after picture:

But back to You question, here is a SLKworld.com member who repaired His own wheel(s):
>> Details: https://www.slkworld.com/slk-r171-general-discussion/28449-yet-another-wheel-repair-pictures.html

Attachments

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,697 Posts
You are correct but people use the term Alloy to describe Aluminium style wheels as a general term without being Engineers or Scientists. Mag wheels was also used back in the 70's but people didn't have Magnesium wheels.

The Post was about how to repair the wheels on the owners car. :smile:
Actually, they did. However pure aluminium or pure magnesium were found to have too many limitations, so alloys were developed. Aluminium, with primarily magnesium added were termed 'Mag alloys'.

Here, knock yerself out:

https://uacj-automobile.com/types_and_applications.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alloy_wheel

1 - 8 of 8 Posts