Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered 2004 SLK200
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have spent a very enlightening few days reading up on all the threads which might help me with my problem - but I am now feeling a little confused so can I ask a few foolish questions after I outline my problem?

I have a LHD 2004 R171 and the little "finger" on the left side of the boot separator (the thing that clicks in and holds the microswitch down to signal the partition is closed) is loose. I have retrieved a nut and a spring that I found loose in the boot that obviously need to be replaced in order to get the "finger" to work as it should.
I haven't had a chance to get the car in to get this work done so I have been pushing the "finger" into the gap and this has worked ok. Until now.

I had a bag in the boot that seems to have dislodged the "finger" whilst the roof was down. When I tried to raise the roof the mechanism started to work and the boot has risen an inch or two but then I got the "close boot separator" error message and the roof won't go up - or down.
Also there was beeping and it told me also that the vario roof was in operation, although nothing was happening.

I have found a lot of information on grounding/bypassing the S69/10 "Trunk Luggage Cover Closed Limit Switch" but this all seems to be relevant to the R170 and I am not sure if it also applies to the R171.

I would be really grateful if someone could confirm (or otherwise) if I can do the same thing with my model and also if anyone could let me have a photo of the whereabouts of the Control Module and wires I need to be looking for.
If I can get into the boot I am sure I can get the partition fixed into place and the microswitch activated then can get the repair carried out.

I am not confident enough to do this myself and would like to try to explain it to my garage with some photo props as my Italian isn't bad - but might not stretch to complicated technical explanations.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,893 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
One or more of these MB docs should help, in particular the closing the roof manually instructions :

Attachments

·
*Premium Member
2008 SLK350
3,243 Posts
Here is a thread http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r171-class-diy/226721-close-vario-roof-r171-manually.html with an English translation of the German document along with the official WIS document on how to close the roof manually. The German document makes it look like a rather simple procedure but if you read the WIS........hmmm don't know.
In case you take it to an Italian non-MB shop I can supply you the Italian version of the WIS if you like...
Just let me know.

·
Registered 2004 SLK200
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you could let me have the Italian version of the WIS I would be very grateful!

I'd like to run it past our usual workshop and they aren't MB but have always been really good with us so I'd like to know their thoughts.

I have to admit the WIS looks pretty complicated to me tbh.....

Here is a thread http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r171-class-diy/226721-close-vario-roof-r171-manually.html with an English translation of the German document along with the official WIS document on how to close the roof manually. The German document makes it look like a rather simple procedure but if you read the WIS........hmmm don't know.
In case you take it to an Italian non-MB shop I can supply you the Italian version of the WIS if you like...
Just let me know.

·
*Premium Member
2008 SLK350
3,243 Posts
If you could let me have the Italian version of the WIS I would be very grateful!

I'd like to run it past our usual workshop and they aren't MB but have always been really good with us so I'd like to know their thoughts.

I have to admit the WIS looks pretty complicated to me tbh.....
No problem, I'm at work at the moment and will be home late this evening, but I'll PM it to you as soon as I get home.

·
Registered 2004 SLK200
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Many thanks, Pete. I tried to PM you back to thank you but I haven't made enough posts yet.
I have saved the attachment so you can delete it now.
Thanks again!
Hmm.. seems I can't send a PM with an attachment.
So I post the Italian WIS here.
Post a reply when you got it please, so I can remove it here, so it doesn't take up unnecessary space.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,893 Posts
Many thanks, Pete. I tried to PM you back to thank you but I haven't made enough posts yet.
I have saved the attachment so you can delete it now.
Thanks again!
No one listens to me. Married with children

how to get to 15 posts to pm someone:
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.