Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I think I'm going to need some new tyres pretty soon - complete set as they are all worn evenly.

Current ones (on the car when bought) are Michelin Primacy HP. I believe that this particular variant is no longer available, so I'm wondering how long they have been on the car.

What would be the favourite all-round tyre guys? I don't do a massive annual mileage, only around 4K (yes, I know - need to get out more :smile:). Looking for comfort, low noise but above all safety.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,611 Posts

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,611 Posts
continentals on the front
michelins on the rear

·
Registered
278 Posts
I just checked tirerack.com and the Michelin Primacy HP is still available in the US. So it should still be around over there if you still want them on your car.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I did a quick dealer search and over here (UK) couldn't see any for sale of the HP version. The do seem to wear well, but in the snow a couple of months back I did struggle to drive up a very slight slope from the work car park... They are also not fond of potholes, hit one and the car skips sideways a bit!

I would classify them as 'OK' tyres, but nothing special. Hence the question to get your opinions. Thought it would be a good time to try another brand maybe.

Thanks to all who have responded.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I did a quick dealer search and over here (UK) couldn't see any for sale of the HP version. The do seem to wear well, but in the snow a couple of months back I did struggle to drive up a very slight slope from the work car park... They are also not fond of potholes, hit one and the car skips sideways a bit!

I would classify them as 'OK' tyres, but nothing special. Hence the question to get your opinions. Thought it would be a good time to try another brand maybe.

Thanks to all who have responded.
These are getting good reviews for cold performance:

Michelin Cross Climate vs Winter and All-season tyres | Evo

Don't know what sizes are available though.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Check out the Continental Extremes. I put 4 on my car and they are quiet, excellent in both wet and dry and they're wearing well for me.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I used Mytyres on the internet, Got 4 Falken ZIEX's ( staggered 16" )to replace the old ones, £195 for the four delivered, you can even pick a local fitting centre. They are a good budget tyre, very quiet etc, grip seems ok too.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Goodyear eagles all round for me........ have been great in all the wet weather recently
Which Goodyear Eagles are you running please? I see there are different versions.

I am looking to replace the budget Acceleras which came on my car, ok in the dry, scaring me in the wet in this weather we are having in the UK, at sensible speeds I might add!

Cheers,
James

·
Registered
163 Posts
Which Goodyear Eagles are you running please? I see there are different versions.

I am looking to replace the budget Acceleras which came on my car, ok in the dry, scaring me in the wet in this weather we are having in the UK, at sensible speeds I might add!

Cheers,
James

Hi James, these ones.....

http://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/goodyear/eagle-f1-asymmetric-2/255/35/R18/Y/94/f?returnurl=/order/tyres?&width=255&profile=35&rim=R18&speed=Any&wintertyre=wintertyre&tyre=32048935

had a car come with acceleras on it a while ago too............... very scary!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks very much.

I have bought 4 of these from MyTyres today and am looking forward to getting them on.

Driving back from the airport last night in the wet was a scary experience, twice without warning the Acceleras lost traction without warning at low speed. At their worst when there is surface water.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have uniroyal rainsport 3's on mine, and have found them to be better suited to our british weather than any other tyre I've had, they are very grippy in the dry, maybe not as much as a performance summer tyre such as a conti contact but they are much more than adequate, but where they come into their own is in the wet, they stick almost as much as when in the dry. If you find your car prone to aquaplaning i'd definitely recommend them!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks very much.

I have bought 4 of these from MyTyres today and am looking forward to getting them on.

Driving back from the airport last night in the wet was a scary experience, twice without warning the Acceleras lost traction without warning at low speed. At their worst when there is surface water.
I don't think you will regret it they are an excellent tyre...... especially considering the reasonable price.... and they have rim protection :grin:

·
Registered
85 Posts
my rears are getting well down, nearly down to the 2mm marker. Looking at replacing them soon. Looked up tryrereviews.co.uk and Goodyear Asym 2 and especially 3 appeared to be the best for all round use.

Has anyone got experience of these tyres? good or bad?

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Hi All

Goodyear Eagles Asym 2 or 3 no problems on my 3rd set on the rear & 2nd set on the front , At the moment running Asym 3 on rear 265 & Asym 2 at the front standard size . The 265 rear fill the wheel arches nice looks like it been lowered lol .

Cheers

Andy

1 - 20 of 26 Posts