Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
*Registered
2006 SLK280
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My trunk was not popping up at all when opening with the remote and was a little difficult to lift. So I decided to replace the gas struts. Autozone wanted $60 each and who knows what the dealer would charge. So I got a two pack from Amazon for $17.

A-Premium Tailgate Rear Trunk... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073NMF345?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

What I think is the easiest way to replace them is to first remove the small plastic tabs with rubber bumpers.

This will allow the trunk mechanism to over extend so that you can hook the new struts up. Be ready to hold the trunk lid before the next step.

Now support the lid and remove the struts by popping the small metal clip on each end, and install the new struts by pressing them onto the mounting balls. The smaller part of the strut goes on the bottom.

Admins: feel free to move or edit.

·
Administrator (Canada)
20,045 Posts
If you remember, come back in a year or so and report back on the QUALITY of those cheapies.

I went that route (different make but cheaper than OEM) on another car and they "died" after one winter's use.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,293 Posts

·
* Administrator (Premium Member)
37,228 Posts
I can't remember as a few years back, but oem was roughly £17 (can't remember if that was per pair).

Forum motto, check MB price before hunting.
Even some breakers parts are more expensive.

·
*Registered
2005 SLK200
329 Posts
No need to remove those parts. Just adjust the head on the boot lid where the strut meets the lid, as I did for the non-original struts.

These are the only parts for my car which I have bought non-original. Wonder how long they are going to last. For now, they are steady after half an year but I hate buying alternative parts.

·
*Registered
2008 SLK280
24 Posts
Struts for the R171 were $38 Canadian ($29 US) each from my local dealer this summer - and in stock. One of the local generic parts suppliers wanted quite a bit more, and had to order them in. Easy choice, I bought genuine - no waiting, and peace of mind...

·
*Registered
2006 SLK280
27 Posts
i don't even have that plastic piece. should i order a pair? are they essential?
i ordered new rods (?) from ebay for like 17 bucks, but they were like 1-2 mm too big so i only could force them in so that the trunk stayed open and i had to shake the whole (black) metal thing to be able to close it.
BUT. and i never seen it anywhere mentioned, you can adjust the top "ball" by unscrewing it with a 13mm wrench, pushing it up or down as needed, tightening it and woila. my trunk stays open, and i can close it no problem.
sorry for the unprofessional language i'm not a car-guy per-say.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts