Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
*Registered
2006 SLK55 AMG
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 SLK55 vs the standard C5 and C6 Corvette in the 1/4 mi. How will they finish? I think the SLK will beat the C5 by a small margin but the C6 is supposed to be lighter and has 400hp. So, how do you beat that?

Anybody here try? Also I hear that AMG engines often dyno higher than rated output. Is it possible that the 355hp rating of our cars is more? I jokingly tell friends that it only has 355hp but they are big burly, muscular Bavarian Warhorses from Afalterbach whose giant hairy hoves shake the ground as they walk and whose stainless steel ballz strike sparks as they drag the ground, :surprise:

Irish

·
Registered
146 Posts
2006 SLK55 vs the standard C5 and C6 Corvette in the 1/4 mi. How will they finish? I think the SLK will beat the C5 by a small margin but the C6 is supposed to be lighter and has 400hp. So, how do you beat that?

Anybody here try? Also I hear that AMG engines often dyno higher than rated output. Is it possible that the 355hp rating of our cars is more? I jokingly tell friends that it only has 355hp but they are big burly, muscular Bavarian Warhorses from Afalterbach whose giant hairy hoves shake the ground as they walk and whose stainless steel ballz strike sparks as they drag the ground, :surprise:

Irish
The C6 runs about 12.5 1/4 mile depending on the engine so I don't think there would be much in it.

·
Banned
434 Posts
With headers, tune, and intake (so approximately 400hp flywheel hp) I pulled away relatively easily from my brother's stock auto C6 in multiple different runs testing starting at different speeds, from a stop, etc.

The R171 SLK55 actually dynos much lower than you would expect from the magazine track times - most are about 275whp.

·
*Registered
2006 SLK55 AMG
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With headers, tune, and intake (so approximately 400hp flywheel hp) I pulled away relatively easily from my brother's stock auto C6 in multiple different runs testing starting at different speeds, from a stop, etc.

The R171 SLK55 actually dynos much lower than you would expect from the magazine track times - most are about 275whp.
So, what does it dyno at the wheels after those mods? I was surprised to hear that one could tune it up to 400hp at the flywheel with only bolt on mods. I know the stock exh manifolds are cheesy but 65 hp from just headers and a retune and intake is great results. If that is possible, I am a prospective client. Who in the USA does this sort of mods?

I would have guessed it was putting down about 280-310 at the wheels stock just going by seat of pants and other cars I own or drive. I have a modded MR2 turbo that has run even with a F430 Ferrari. But we were at 5000 ft elev, which favors the turbocharged car. The 430 did pull away a little once it got the V8 up above 5k, but was pretty flat coming off the slower corners. The MR2 only puts out about 275 RWHP at best depending on the boost setting and the SLK will walk away from it (slowly) in a straight line, mostly on the speed of its gear changes. The MR2 is only a 2750 lb car, so it is lighter. It hooks well since the engine sits on the rear axles. I once raced a supercharged NSX in it which was reported to be putting out 400ish hp and it pulled away only slightly on topend and at the time the MR2's engine was hurt and losing compression on the #4 cyl. It is healthy now and would give the NSX a good run today. The NSX is about a 3100 lb car but adding the blower did add about 100lbs to it.

Seat of pants tells me SLK would kill a C5 but might have its hands full with a C6. Anybody out there own both? Stay away from the Z0/6, it is a beast.

Irish

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.