Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
I'm moving from Hawaii to the east coast, so, after this past autocross season, I swapped my Dunlop Direzza Z2 street tires to my lightweight Enkei race wheels for every day use. I had racing slicks mounted on the Enkeis previously. I wanted to run the the Enkeis on the street so I could mount a set of winter/snow tires on the AMG P30 Package wheels.

After cleaning my AMG wheels for shipping, I decided to weigh them before packing them up. They are HEAVY! So much for "two piece lightweight alloy wheels" as part of the option package.

Fronts: 28.8lbs
Rears: 32.8lbs

As a comparison, my Enkei PF01 wheels are half an inch wider front and rear:
Fronts: 19.2lbs
Rears: 20.1lbs

Front wheel:

Rear wheel:

Here's a shot of the Enkei's

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
That weight range seems normal to me for OEM wheels, but I agree they shouldn't be called 'lightweight'.

Good luck with the move.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for posting the weights. This just convinced me to start shopping for wheels. In my opinion, those weights are pretty ridiculous. It must feel like a whole different car with the PF01s!

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
After cleaning my AMG wheels for shipping, I decided to weigh them before packing them up. They are HEAVY! So much for "two piece lightweight alloy wheels" as part of the option package.

Thanks for posting the actual weight of the wheels without the tires. The 19" replicas of these wheels seem like a better buy.

19x8.5 fronts: 28.0lbs
19x9.5 rears: 30.0lbs

·
Registered
163 Posts
I can confirm the 030 weights. I was shocked. The AMG 16 spoke rears are 5 pounds lighter.

I track the Forgestar F14 in "Blood Red" color.

Fronts are 1 1/2" wider
Rears are 1" wider

Fronts are 17.3 pounds
Rears are 19 pounds

Mark,
Where on the east coast are you moving to?
Maybe we can hook-up for some road courses. :burnout:

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can confirm the 030 weights. I was shocked. The AMG 16 spoke rears are 5 pounds lighter.

I track the Forgestar F14 in "Blood Red" color.

Fronts are 1 1/2" wider
Rears are 1" wider

Fronts are 17.3 pounds
Rears are 19 pounds

Mark,
Where on the east coast are you moving to?
Maybe we can hook-up for some road courses. :burnout:
Sorry I've been busy since the move. I'm in Montgomery County, Maryland.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm moving from Hawaii to the east coast, so, after this past autocross season, I swapped my Dunlop Direzza Z2 street tires to my lightweight Enkei race wheels for every day use. I had racing slicks mounted on the Enkeis previously. I wanted to run the the Enkeis on the street so I could mount a set of winter/snow tires on the AMG P30 Package wheels.

As a comparison, my Enkei PF01 wheels are half an inch wider front and rear:
Fronts: 19.2lbs
Rears: 20.1lbs

Front wheel:

Rear wheel:

Here's a shot of the Enkei's
I've always found that the best performance mod one can make on a car is to use the lightest wheels possible. That seems even more so with these Mercedes given how heavy the stock rims are. I'm surprised not to find more posts by members who've switched to lighter rims (Enkei and OZ seem to be the only alternatives listed by Tire Rack). From your experience is there any reason (other than cost) NOT to switch?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I've always found that the best performance mod one can make on a car is to use the lightest wheels possible. That seems even more so with these Mercedes given how heavy the stock rims are. I'm surprised not to find more posts by members who've switched to lighter rims (Enkei and OZ seem to be the only alternatives listed by Tire Rack). From your experience is there any reason (other than cost) NOT to switch?
No, not really. The only reason might be structural strength; M-B wheels are heavy but also very stout. Unless they're forged, lighter wheels might not be quite as strong. But is that really worth worrying about? Probably not, given the benefits of reduced unsprung weight. If you live in an area with particularly aggressive potholes, or your local track has some nasty curbs that typically get driven on with a street car on the correct line, then lighter and possibly weaker wheels might be cause for concern. But those two situations are the only ones I can think of where this might be worrisome; in everyday driving on relatively smooth roads I see no downside to going lighter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts