Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for an outdoor cover that's mid-range, say £100 or less, anyone have any experience or recommendations of one please?

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,668 Posts
Did you do a 'search' top right? :D Don't make me come over there!

·
93,668 Posts

·
93,668 Posts
check out this search thread i worked soooo hard making

http://www.slkworld.com/new-members-introduce-yourself-here/138769-tips-searching.html

and this works the best

e. (From Randombloke):

If they can't find what they want using that, they could always use Google and limit the search to just this site by using:

site:slkworld.com word1 word2 word3

for specific phrases, they can put it in double quotes eg

site:slkworld.com "car covers" or car covers also works

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Looking for an outdoor cover that's mid-range, say £100 or less, anyone have any experience or recommendations of one please?
Id probably steer cleer of outdoor car cover's
Or be very very careful .

I had a client black m series convertible .
And the cover rubbed on his paint work here and there and has some horrible sctatch / rub marks on paintwork .

So and he had it tied down properly .
But the outdoors can do some terrible damage as such .

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Good move, my neighbour just had his roof resprayed, told by the body shop marks were due to him using car cover!

·
Registered
21 Posts
My cover from storm force has been on about 4 months, no sign of marking.
Its made up of 4 layers, has soft inner side and made to measure to enclose mirrors.
Don't like covers, but with the gargantuan Irish crows and the elderberry season starting
**it is hard to shift. I've known it to eat through stainless fencing wire!!
Cover a bit steep at £140

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm torn on the subject. Due to a new car purchase, my slk has been booted from the garage. I'm thinking I will go ahead and get a cover as I'm really not liking the amount of garbage that accumulates on the car each night here in So. California and parking at work during the day is outside in direct sunlight so I want to better protect the interior from the heat.

Does anyone have experience with the Auto Armour cover found on Ebay? (And yes I did a search, that is how I found this thread as best match.) Their write-up sounds too good to be true for a $44 cover, which means it likely isn't. Though they have a stellar ebay rating which suggests it may be.

Is it custom fit to the SLK 171 or is it an approximate sizing?

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
I have a cover from coverking.com. They are custom made, but they do not have the underside felt padding to stop the cover from rubbing on the paint work. My car is relegated "outside" as well, so I thought a cover would be a great idea. It is a great fit, nice and snug, covers the mirrors, and take note that you will probably need to change the antenna to the stubby/short one, as the cover is not for the long whip antenna. Luckily, the antenna was one of the first things I swapped out of the car, and didn't have a problem with getting the cover over the car. It is quite a tight fit, so the issue with rubbing isn't going to be an issue for me, as the spot the car is parked in is sheltered from the wind.

The very first time I used the cover, I quickly realized that it is all about technique, knowing which side is the front, and how to get the cover on the car quickly. The trick is to have the cover on the windscreen first, and then unroll it to fit over the nose of the car, and then the side mirrors as you work towards the back. Keeping it is just the reverse, starting from the back of the car, rolling up the cover as you move.

The unfortunate thing was that I had a gust of wind, blow part of the cover on to the floor, which had dirt and whatever leaves from the nearby tree (it was fall). The static from the cover picked some of the dirt up. I spent a long time with the vacuum and a rag cleaning all that stuff out. I didn't want dirt on the inside of the cover scratching up the paint as I put on and took off the cover.

On the whole, I would say that it takes me about 3 mins to take the cover off, and about the same time to put it on. I only put it on when the car is clean, and when I am travelling out of town.

Hope this helps.

-K

·
Registered
373 Posts
I finally got one, and it also is a CoverKing. They have several different ones to choose from and I went with the one that had underside padding.

It is indeed custom made for the car. I already had the short antenna so no issue there. However, to me it seems the fit is rather snug so it is a challenge to get on. And since I installed an aftermarket front license plate holder on the tow hook, I can't get it over that corner properly, but that isn't their fault as that is a mod I made to the car. I wish it had an extra inch of material in each direction, but if it did, over time it would probably stretch and get too loose.

Overall, I like it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts