Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
*Registered
2009 SLK350
30 Posts
I have the same issue. If I turn the key slowly and stop for a second at each click it always works, though. Don't think it is battery related.

·
*Registered
2010 SLK300
10 Posts
hi Cruisedirector, just wondering if they managed to fix the cranking issue & if so what was the cause?
cheers Bryan

·
*Registered
2007 SLK350 "Barbee"
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Crank sensor failure would not cause a non crank situation-only a no start situation
i think your EIS in on the way out-get it on a diagnostic to check codes and live data

I think you are right about the EIS. I have searched for an ESL emulator and find them for many Mercedes but don't find one listed for the R171. Do you or anyone have a link to an emulator for the R171?

·
*Registered
2007 SLK350 "Barbee"
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
hi Cruisedirector, just wondering if they managed to fix the cranking issue & if so what was the cause?
cheers Bryan

I thought I fixed it but now I am not sure. The local shop told me the transmission conductor plate was bad and needed to be replaced since I was getting a P0705 DTC. Replaced the conductor plate but today I got the no start problem again. It always starts eventually but I have to remove the key and reinsert it in the ignition and turn it and usually it will start but today I had to do that 3 times before it finally started. From talking to Josh at The Mercedes Swap Shop it sounds like it is either the EIS or ESL. I am trying to find an ESL emulator for an R171.

·
*Registered
2007 SLK350 "Barbee"
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I recently posted about the two issues in the subject line. After replacing the H5 battery with an H6, the remote roof function started working again - for a day. Then it quit and hasn't worked since. I also had an intermittent no crank issue. I have one original key and new key I bought through the local Mercedes dealership. About 20% of the time the dash lights would not appear and the car would not start when I put the key in and turned it. I would remove the key, reinsert it and then the car would usually restart. The last time I had to put the key in and reinsert it 3 times before the dash lights came on and it finally started. I was worried that the ESL and or EIS was going out on me so I parked the car because I figured soon it would not start at all.

On a couple of other threads I read about the ESL emulator so I researched that and could not find anyone who had actually gotten it to work. Maybe someone did and I just missed the thread. I contacted Josh Chase at The Mercedes Swap Shop and he said the emulator would work so I bought one and he helped with the wiring since the R171 ESL connector has 4 pins but the emulator only has 3 wires. None of the vendors advertise an emulator for the R171 but Josh figured out that the ESL in our cars is the same as the W211 so I bought an emulator that would work on that and several other models. Here is how to wire the emulator and I can tell you so far it is working perfectly. I have started the car approximately 10 times today and drove it around and so far it works beautifully.

ESL Connector:

Pin 1 - (Red/White wire) - connect this to the blue wire (or K-line wire) from the emulator
Pin 2 - (Red/brown wire) do not connect anything to this pin.
Pin 3 - (Brown wire) - connect to the black (ground) wire from the emulator
Pin 4 - (Red wire) - connect to the red (power) wire from the emulator

I had visions of having to remove the ESL and EIS and sending them off for repair and reprogramming but for less than $50 the problem was solved.

My only issue now is that the remote roof function is not working but I have just decided I will live with that. It's not that important to me. Was a nice to have but not a huge deal.

·
*Premium Member
2019 SLC300
2,832 Posts
Happy to hear you got it fixed, and it starts. Just get a Smart Top; not only can you open or close the top from a distance but do several other items, like windows, chirp, and lights flash on when locking and unlocking, and lights flash when the top is in operation the list goes on.

·
*Registered
2007 SLK350 "Barbee"
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Happy to hear you got it fixed, and it starts. Just get a Smart Top; not only can you open or close the top from a distance but do several other items, like windows, chirp, and lights flash on when locking and unlocking, and lights flash when the top is in operation the list goes on.
Jeff keeps telling me to get a SmartTop but I don't use my top daily or frequently like a lot of folks do so it is not worth the expense to me, at least for now. Using the console switch is just not that big of a deal to me. I'm just happy the car starts and I didn't have to remove the ESL and EIS to ship them off for an expensive repair.

·
Administrator (Canada)
20,045 Posts
Smarttop-->I don't have one either (I know lots of members love it) and it seems to me that the primary reason is being able to lower/raise the roof while moving up to say 30mph or so. You can also adjust the windows with it in ways that you normally can't do.

There are other reasons as well that are discussed elsewhere. I'm sure you've already been directed to them but for the benefit of those new members, have a look here

·
*Registered
2007 SLK350 "Barbee"
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Smarttop-->I don't have one either (I know lots of members love it) and it seems to me that the primary reason is being able to lower/raise the roof while moving up to say 30mph or so. You can also adjust the windows with it in ways that you normally can't do.

There are other reasons as well that are discussed elsewhere. I'm sure you've already been directed to them but for the benefit of those new members, have a look here
I did a lot of research on the Smart Top when it was first suggested to me a few weeks ago but most of the stuff it does I wouldn't use or just don't care about. But that's all personal preference. I don't really care about the flashing lights and all that. It would be nice to open the top as you are walking to the car so it's ready when you get in and start the car, but I don't want it bad enough to pay for the SmartTop. Instead I had the AMG shift modes programmed into the conductor plate and I just bought a throttle/pedal response controller to make the throttle response much quicker. I'll get more fun and use out of those things than a SmartTop.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts