Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
*Registered
2007 SLK350 "Barbee"
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here on the forum. Just purchased an 07 SLK350 and sometimes when I put the key fob in the slot and turn it the dash lights up but I get nothing else - starter doesn't engage, no sound, etc. I usually pull the fob out and then reinsert it in the key slot and turn it again and it will then usually start. On my Chrysler Crossfires, this is often an indication of a failed or failing crankshaft position sensor so I have ordered a new one to install. Am I on the right track, or with the SLK is there something else I should check for this issue?

·
Founding Member 2006
108,292 Posts
and your battery? how old is it?
eis is your next thing to check electronic ignition system

·
*Registered
2007 SLK350 "Barbee"
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Not sure how old the battery is. It is an Interstate battery and from what I read the date code is supposed to be engraved in the top of the battery somewhere but I just spent 10 minutes under the hood looking at the top of the battery and took several pictures of it so I could blow it up on my computer screen and I don't find any engraving. I think the battery is OK because I have one of those cigarette lighter USB adapters with the voltage readout. But, I put my multimeter on the battery and it reads 12.6V so I think the battery is in good shape.

Additionally, the car only came with on key fob so I ordered another one from the local Mercedes dealer and I am hoping maybe the new fob will make a difference.

Would the fact that this car has been sitting a lot have anything to do with this symptom? The car has only been driven about 3000 miles in the past 5 years and was even in non-op status for a while. It was owned by an older lady who was having health issues and finally had to give up driving.

·
**Premium Member 2004 SLK350
5,618 Posts
Need to scan your car and see if you have any errors.
Also need to see live data when you try to crank.

·
*Registered
2005 SLK200K
43 Posts
Need to scan your car and see if you have any errors.
Also need to see live data when you try to crank.
Crank sensor failure would not cause a non crank situation-only a no start situation
i think your EIS in on the way out-get it on a diagnostic to check codes and live data

·
Founding Member 2006
108,292 Posts
battery do not last forever. does one's heart? :D

·
**Premium Member 2004 SLK350
5,618 Posts
Crank sensor failure would not cause a non crank situation-only a no start situation
i think your EIS in on the way out-get it on a diagnostic to check codes and live data
I did not say that, just said he needs to see the errors and live data from the modules involved in starting the car.

·
*Registered
2007 SLK350 "Barbee"
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I put my OBD Scanner and it gave me the following codes: P0513, P0705 and U3FFF. I know the P0513 has to do with the mobilizer and key. I just got a new duplicate key fob from the dealer this morning. The new key and my old key will both start the car, most of the time, but occasionally I get nothing when I turn the key. In every case so far, I have been able to start the car by removing the key fob and then reinserting and turning the key. My guess is this is something I will have to take the car to the dealer, as a simple reset with the scanner probably won't fix this, right?

·
*Registered
2007 SLK350 "Barbee"
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG /2005 SLK350
6,087 Posts
take your battery out and take it to a parts store for proper testing.

·
*Registered
2007 SLK350 "Barbee"
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
take your battery out and take it to a parts store for proper testing.
I used a multimeter and when the engine is not running the battery reads 12.6V and with the engine running it is 13.8V. Those are both perfectly normal, so do I really need to have it tested somewhere else?

·
*Registered
2005 SLK350
170 Posts
Tested mine while starting 4, 5 times in a row and voltage dropped to 9.5 volts, car started every time without a problem, I used a fluke multimeter from my work vehicle, it is equipped with max and min memory

·
*Registered
2008 SLK280
10 Posts
Hey Jeff, SFC (ret) 18F Chuck Blue reporting from Daytona Beach. It's been a while since I posted. At any rate: my old-lady's R-171 280 was dead this morning. Our vehicles were parked oddly and it took three sets of jumper cables strung together to get from my battery to her jump-start port. She's a school teacher and we BARELY got it done before she got late for school. It's HER car and NOT my responsibility, but where's the battery on this car so I can get her a new one tomorrow. FWIW: after the jump this morning, she made it to school and it fired right up at the end of the day and is now parked nose-to-nose with my truck in case this happens tomorrow before she has to go to work. I, as a retired Green Beret (and fully retired) would rather just have a fresh battery waiting for her when she gets home tomorrow. She bought her R-171 used with 25k miles, but no manual, from Spanos here in Daytona Beach. Shoot me a you-tube link to battery replacement in these things, brother.

PS: I'm sure her car needs a battery.

Thanks in advance,
Chuck

·
*Registered
2008 SLK280
10 Posts
Hey Jeff, SFC (ret) 18F Chuck Blue reporting from Daytona Beach. It's been a while since I posted. At any rate: my old-lady's R-171 280 was dead this morning.
As you were.... Found it in under a minute after I googled it myself. She's got 1.5 hours before sunrise to do Pilates, but waits until five minutes before her "must leave" time to see if her car cranks......

·
Founding Member 2006
108,292 Posts
Hi Chuck

battery in under the rain cover...covered in your owner's manual :D

stand in front of car
lift hood

oh good you found it

Thank you for your service
see rhe florida section for past n future meets

we now return this thread back to op :D

·
*Registered
2010 SLK300
10 Posts
I put my OBD Scanner and it gave me the following codes: P0513, P0705 and U3FFF. I know the P0513 has to do with the mobilizer and key. I just got a new duplicate key fob from the dealer this morning. The new key and my old key will both start the car, most of the time, but occasionally I get nothing when I turn the key. In every case so far, I have been able to start the car by removing the key fob and then reinserting and turning the key. My guess is this is something I will have to take the car to the dealer, as a simple reset with the scanner probably won't fix this, right?
Newbie here on the forum. Just purchased an 07 SLK350 and sometimes when I put the key fob in the slot and turn it the dash lights up but I get nothing else - starter doesn't engage, no sound, etc. I usually pull the fob out and then reinsert it in the key slot and turn it again and it will then usually start. On my Chrysler Crossfires, this is often an indication of a failed or failing crankshaft position sensor so I have ordered a new one to install. Am I on the right track, or with the SLK is there something else I should check for this issue?
I would be interested to know if you get a fix for this. I have a 2010 SLK300 with the same symptoms. Taking the key out & back in always resolves the issue so I wasn't too concerned. I have 2 fobs & get the same thing. Battery voltage 124.v off, 14.2v idle

·
*Registered
2007 SLK350 "Barbee"
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would be interested to know if you get a fix for this. I have a 2010 SLK300 with the same symptoms. Taking the key out & back in always resolves the issue so I wasn't too concerned. I have 2 fobs & get the same thing. Battery voltage 124.v off, 14.2v idle
Car is in the shop to fix this. Will let you know what they find.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts