Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if its possible to put the whole front of a r171 on the r170?
Considiring to buy used front parts and put on, but not sure if the clips/screws are the same.

Seen some pictures of it, but it cost like 5000-7000 euro...

Thanks

Sent fra min C6903 via Tapatalk

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,085 Posts

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK200K
1,123 Posts
I think the r171 front is much prettier.

well, so do I, but that is why we bought the R171.. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I think that , maybe, you are one of those guys who likes to change, change, change... just for the fun of it...and why not... good luck...:grin:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, so do I, but that is why we bought the R171..

I think that , maybe, you are one of those guys who likes to change, change, change... just for the fun of it...and why not... good luck...:grin:
The back of r171 is not pretty... Why not have the best of two worlds? ;-)

·
1,123 Posts
The back of r171 is not pretty... Why not have the best of two worlds? ;-)

Ha ha, never allude to any female that her backside (or that of her car) is NOT pretty.. you are on dangerous ground if you do..>:D

Fortunately, we do not all think alike...:wink::wink:.. and variety is the spice of life..:grin:

So, enjoy fidgeting with your car, you will find this forum very helpful...

·
Registered
227 Posts
Despite owning a 171, I think the 170 is the prettiest of the lot. There was little corporacy in the design, few silly throwbacks so it was not a pastiche of, for instance, the 190SL, and the only thing that looked retro were the two strengthening bulges along the bonnet. I think in years to come the design will become a classic.

When you consider the restrictions the folding roof placed on the design team, you have to admit it was a tour-de-force.

I've been out looking for another SLK and at a showroom there was a late 171 I went to look at and, at less than half the price, a 170 32 in the covered area of their parking lot. I spent more time looking at the latter. Were it not for the steering . . .

I can see the reasoning behind the nose treatment of the 171, especially as it aped a much more expensive car, but better looking? I know it is in the eyes of the beholder, but I can't see it. I'm not suggesting the 171 is ugly of course, it is very attractive, but just that I prefer the original.

Anyway, here's a half-way stage attempt:

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,040 Posts
What do you mean if not for the steering wheel ??
That can be easily changed if the car ticked your box ?

I did not like the 171 look coming from a minty 170 for 8.5 years nut the 171 facelift perked my eyes .
And went and bought it .
And dont regret .
You can always tweak it to make it look a little sportier .

But to transform a 170 to 171 because you like the front etc
You might as well buy a 171 .
Because you will end up putting on more 171 components on to your 170 :grin:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What do you mean if not for the steering wheel ??
That can be easily changed if the car ticked your box ?

I did not like the 171 look coming from a minty 170 for 8.5 years nut the 171 facelift perked my eyes .
And went and bought it .
And dont regret .
You can always tweak it to make it look a little sportier .

But to transform a 170 to 171 because you like the front etc
You might as well buy a 171 .
Because you will end up putting on more 171 components on to your 170 :grin:
I understand, but the back of 171 is too...small, curvy and female (i think). It would also be unique. Especially in Norway where cars are expensive and you could make some money if you have a special cars :)

·
1,123 Posts
I understand, but the back of 171 is too...small, curvy and female (i think). It would also be unique. Especially in Norway where cars are expensive and you could make some money if you have a special cars :)

Oh dear... are you talking about this car as an investment??? A means to make lots of money ?? You are in danger of entering a minefield..:wink::wink::wink:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh dear... are you talking about this car as an investment??? A means to make lots of money ?? You are in danger of entering a minefield..:wink::wink::wink:
Hehe, no. Im keeping it for a while now while I'm a student. But I'd like to have a beatiful SLK and then I need to shine it up. Looking for a wide bodykit (or 171 front and then I'm going to repaint it from silver to "candy red" (very dark red).

·
1,123 Posts
Everything suddenly becomes clearer.. you are a student :smile:.. full of enthusiasm for life.. and wanting to make your mark...:grin::grin::grin: well, good for you:smile:

You will find everyone on this forum has their own ideas on what is or is not a good idea... and some will be able to explain the real difficulties you may face, depending on what you want to do..

In my youth..I had a mini repainted in Candy Apple Red... wow... that was glorious..

best of luck...:x

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,040 Posts
Will you not have to notify your insurance as you have modified the car ?
If you go ahead ?

And do you class her as half 170 and half 171 :wink:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Will you not have to notify your insurance as you have modified the car ?
If you go ahead ?

And do you class her as half 170 and half 171 :wink:
Insurance does not need to know. They need to be notified when theres more horsepower, but I need to get the bodywork approved by the "state" so I can get licenseplate number :)

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,040 Posts
Sorry to be a bit obscure. I meant the steering - recirculating ball. I prefer rack and pinion.
Well ive owned a170 and never had issues with old steering type box in 8.5 years .

And shes still got original after 11.5 years sold to a client :)

Dont let that put you off of buying it .
Its trivual .
If you like the styling go for it .
You want be looking at the steering rack while driving her . :wink:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.