Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all , just pottering around some back road when something metallic came from under the car . when I retrieved the piece it looks as though ot is a suspension coil. Is there a tutorial on the site for the replacement of such
Thanks
Marauder

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK350
4,281 Posts
Hi to all , just pottering around some back road when something metallic came from under the car . when I retrieved the piece it looks as though ot is a suspension coil. Is there a tutorial on the site for the replacement of such
Thanks
Marauder
I tried once but i failed to compress the new spring back on the shock. I strongly suggest you go to a mechanic.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I replaced the shocks and struts on my 2006 slk55 AMG. I only had simple hand tools and borrowed and old school spring compressor.

I found the task to be intuitive in nature, but here’s two cents regarding what to watch for: Given how short our springs are you will need to start with the compressor’s jaws positioned on the coils as far apart as possible, thereby allowing the most compression possible.

Other than that, just be careful handling compressed springs. If you jar the compressor and it lets go ... yikes!

Hope this helps!

tn

1 - 7 of 7 Posts