Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered 2010 SLK55 AMG
2010 Mercedes SLK 55AMG
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Tried posting this once and it didn't take so here's a short version. Need to top up once a week. Oil is good. No water in it. Any places I need to look first to sort myself before going to my independent.

Cheers,

Colin.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Pressure testing your coolant system for leaks might be recommended :wink:

Also check the radiator cap, a cracked or dry seal might be the culprit.

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,777 Posts
Check the oil cap for milky white substance , often a sign of a blown head gasket ..

Also try and check your radiator front and back for any sign of a very slight leak ( greeny white stain , maybe ) , my sister in laws car suffered from loosing water and we couldn't find the leak , until the radiator was removed and a pinhole leak was to be seen hidden behind the fan housing that actually dried off as it came out due to the heat of the radiator itself and the fan ....

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you can't physically see any leaks better get it pressure tested. Like curro said it could get very expensive .

·
2010 Mercedes SLK 55AMG
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all. Not sounding too good :-\. I'll get it tested at my local independant. I do ensure it's correct level before I go anywhere.

·
Banned
804 Posts
Do a pressure test on the radiator and observe if there are any leaks:

This video is a little long winded, but what you do is pressurize the cooling system which is supposedly a closed sealed system. You eyeball for leaks.

One of the major destroyers of engines is over heating. Old cars usually have clogged up leaky radiators, and they need to be pulled an rebuilt. Also new upper and lower radiator hoses. Make sure you use the original clamps too.

If the rad can't be rebuilt, a new one isn't that expensive, maybe a couple hundred bucks. BTW, Autozone will lend you a tester!:smile:

·
2010 Mercedes SLK 55AMG
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. Engine temp is fine as I top it up so just need to book it in to my local indie to get it looked at as there's not much I can do really.

·
Banned
804 Posts
Thanks. Engine temp is fine as I top it up so just need to book it in to my local indie to get it looked at as there's not much I can do really.
I should have mentioned the video is only instructive. To know how to pressurize the Merc cooling system, you'd have to consult the WIS.

After 10 years on the road and assuming you want to keep the car, having the cooling system gone over is money well spent. In any case, I wouldn't be satisfied with a "patch" job like tightening a clamp or something trivial.

·
Banned
804 Posts
Pressure testing your coolant system for leaks might be recommended :wink:

Also check the radiator cap, a cracked or dry seal might be the culprit.
These cars don't use a radiator cap instead they have an expansion tank with a screw on cap to check coolant level.

·
Registered 2006 SLK55
39 Posts
Colin did you ever resolve what was going on with the coolant level? I have the same issue with mine, garage are having great trouble working out where the coolant is going

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
105,297 Posts
Colin did you ever resolve what was going on with the coolant level? I have the same issue with mine, garage are having great trouble working out where the coolant is going
fyi,
Colin has not been back since: Last Activity: 11-20-2015
Hopefully he has subscribed to his thread so he will be notified of your post

·
2010 Mercedes SLK 55AMG
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nimay, sorry for the long response. No, still have the coolant leak but plan to go to Merc Bedford to get it looked at as my indie has had it twice and couldn't find anything - so I've paid twice to have it pressure tested and looked at with no result. Not blaming anyone, but maybe it needs a different set of eyes. Did you sort yours ? It's now starting to get on my nerves having to check it and top it up every time I take it out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.