Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie, please forgive if I posted in the wrong location.
2006 SLK 280. Started engine and began to drive...but it wouldn't shift. High RPM but didn't shift? Engine light illuminated.

Checked diagnostic code and code read two -- P0717 and P0717 P.

I've been searching the web and haven't found anything specific to this vehicle. The forums I read on similar vehicles makes this sound like an expensive fix. Can anyone give some advice on this? Thanks.

·
Founding Member 2006
113,460 Posts

·
Founding Member 2006
113,460 Posts
Hi! but you did not update your vehicle info,,,,

see?

Vehicle: Black

no 2006 SLK 280

Please follow this exactly to update. your profile is not updated in your garage

Follow exactly to update: ‘Usercp’ at the top of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘vehicle’. Info in your garage does not update your profile.

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK350
2,588 Posts
Newbie, please forgive if I posted in the wrong location.
2006 SLK 280. Started engine and began to drive...but it wouldn't shift. High RPM but didn't shift? Engine light illuminated.

Checked diagnostic code and code read two -- P0717 and P0717 P.

I've been searching the web and haven't found anything specific to this vehicle. The forums I read on similar vehicles makes this sound like an expensive fix. Can anyone give some advice on this? Thanks.
Which error code is it? Your subject line says P0171 while your message says P0717.

·
*Registered
2006 SLK280
104 Posts
If it's P0717 it's the input/turbine speed sensor A circuit No Signal so along with the description of the problem I'd concentrate on the conductor plate threads.

If you also got a P0171 that's system too lean bank 1 and may have been a consequence of revving the crap out of the car.

Regards
Geoff

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found this video but I'm not certain which type of transmission she has.

It's a 2006 SLK 280 automatic. I checked the owners manual and online, but so far I haven't determined whether or not it's the 722.6 transmission or not. It's nice to have the aforementioned video should I choose to attempt this myself, but without a video guide, I doubt I'll attempt replacing the conductor plate if it's a different transmission.

Thanks to all of you for helping me out with this.

·
Founding Member 2006
113,460 Posts

·
Founding Member 2006
113,460 Posts
plus mb will not sell you the conductor plate (usually). only dealers can replace (usually)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Conductor Plate

Ahhh...I see. I'll ask our dealership if they'll sell it. The most difficult part of the video appears to be lifting and absolutely positively stabilizing the vehicle.

·
Founding Member 2006
113,460 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I must be looking at the wrong part? My Mercedes dealer just stated that only a Mercedes dealer sells the part and only a Mercedes dealer can replace the part. But why do conductor plates for 722.6 transmissions appear on Amazon and Ebay? Are these parts far too inferior to install, or am I mistakenly looking up the wrong part?

·
Founding Member 2006
113,460 Posts
No. mb is correct. my friend suffered from that issue and his indy said they could not get the part and mb would not sell him the part. another member stated that his mb sold him the part and then his indy put it in and coded it. depends on your dealer really

ones on ebay are usually used or trying to rip people off or unused/new and gotten from mb dealers that do not follow their own rules

·
Founding Member 2006
113,460 Posts
yes. Amazon does not sell used parts. Ebay does
Let our experts chime in

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG /2005 SLK350
6,867 Posts
Isn't 722.6 the 5 speed auto transmission in the Pre-FL R170? I thought the 7 speed in the R171 was 722.9.

I've successfully replaced conductor plates in Pre-FL R170, no coding necessary. I've never done same for a R171, but from what I hear, coding is required.

I do know it's possible to order 722.9 plates from MB, but they're theft-relevant, so expect some scrutiny.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.