Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts

·
*Premium Member
2007 SLK55 AMG
2,739 Posts
Nice job, really well described!:tu:

Reactions: etyu

·
Registered
561 Posts
Brian_74: agreed! i've read thru several Smarttop instructions now (couple of times) and stilll overwhelmed. I haven't tried it yet tho, but will soon.

If anyone would like to volunteer and provide me with links + post#; I could compile and pdf those. However, it would make sense if its with pic's like the GF above.

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
Brian_74: agreed! i've read thru several Smarttop instructions now (couple of times) and stilll overwhelmed. I haven't tried it yet tho, but will soon.

If anyone would like to volunteer and provide me with links + post#; I could compile and pdf those. However, it would make sense if its with pic's like the GF above.
Check this thread post #13, courtesy of Shinigami from Benzworld, has the original PDF file that explains the removal of the door sill, the kick panel, the carpet, etc.

Then incorporate the post in this same thread w pix on removing the CANBUS cover.

AS an alternative to crimping the wires in the wire loom, insert some pix and narrative on extending the + wire to the Add-a-circuit, and using the factory ground near the engine hood/bonnet lever.

I wouldn't mind documenting all the steps with photos if I get the chance to install another SmartTop in the future.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I wouldn't mind documenting all the steps with photos if I get the chance to install another SmartTop in the future.
Yeah, definitely need the add-a-circuit method in there, that seems the best "plug n play" to me.

Eddy, Wanna come down to AZ and help me do mine? :biglaugh:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hate to sound like I'm just jumping on the band wagon, but a complete step-by-step instruction for the smart top would be great.

I would like to do mine too, but don't want the adventure of screwing it up and regretting my actions.

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
d3athr0w, can you just edit and add to the original pdf file (by Shinigami) as stated on post #6 above?

After removal of the door sill, removal of kick panel, lifting the carpet, removing the cover to the wire harness/loom, to the point where one lifts the CANBUS assembly you can insert the following on removing the CANBUS cover (from page 5, post #89 on the thread started by Mojito):

" Finally had a chance to get some photos on removing the CANBUS cover this am. I thought I'd post it here as it is related to installing the SmartTop, and it's already stickied.

This tip was from a German website.

1. Insert a flat wooden stick to each side (narrow) of the CANBUS cover. German site used wooden matchsticks. I used the wooden coffee stirrers from coffee shop. Measure and cut/trim the wooden insert to the same length as the whole CANBUS assembly (see photo 1 below). Do the cutting away from the assembly to avoid cutting any wires and reinsert the flat wooden stick. Secure to lower end of the assembly w/masking tape (see photo 2 below). The 2 wooden sticks when secured in place will release the locking tabs found at the inner surface of the CANBUS cover.

2. Insert a small flat head screwdriver unto one of the 2 tiny indents (mislabeled tabs in photo 2) on the CANBUS cover. See photo 2. They are molded on the side where there are many small square windows. (I used 2.5mm jeweler's screwdriver) Slowly use a prying motion with the screwdriver as you work away from the center of the CANBUS cover towards where one of the wooden inserts are. Notice the direction of the force to remove CANBUS cover as seen in photo 2. You can make removal easier if you use the index finger of one hand pushing/pulling in the same direction while using the screwdriver with the other hand. Work to release one side only. When one side releases it is easy to remove the CANBUS cover as seen again in photo 2 as the whole cover now pivots free.

3. Trim the tab located at each end (of the CANBUS cover) with a sharp hobby knife (exercise extreme care when working with sharp instruments) and sand smooth with motor tool. See photos 3 and 4. This will make removal of the cover easier in the future without the need for the wooden sticks. Slight finger pressure and small screwdriver and the cover comes off in a jiffy.

Photo 1, wooden stick(trimmed) at side of CANBUS cover)

Photo 2, note masking tape used to secure wooden stick and direction of force

Photo 3, trim the tabs for future use

Photo 4, trimmed area on CANBUS cover

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
After removal of the CANBUS cover, we can return to the part (from Shinigami's pdf) about looking for the correct plug, then looking for the correct wires to crimp for the + and ground.

After this, then offer the alternative of using the Add-a-circuit and using the ground located at the hood/bonnet release lever. All we're missing are perhaps a few photos of how the Add-a-circuit is connected to the fuse box, and how this is connected to the + feed of the SmartTop using bullet connectors, how to use a spade connector on the ground and how it's attached to the factory ground.

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
I would LOVE it if someone did the same for the SmartTop install for R171. There's a billion different threads and it's hard to compose all the information

Coming soon (may be incomplete initially but will be edited and more pix added/replaced when available).

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
etyu sent you a note.

We'll hopefully have a good Smarttop install pdf by Monday or Tuesday :)
I think Eddy's done with his beautiful SmartTop install guide. d3athr0w, care to make a PDF version?

Sulley, can we "clean" this thread up and sticky/lock it?

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
I think Eddy's done with his beautiful SmartTop install guide. d3athr0w, care to make a PDF version?

Sulley, can we "clean" this thread up and sticky/lock it?
Actually, not quite done on the last section (SmartTop install). I'm waiting to do some install on a fellow member's ride as soon as he gets his SmartTop. I'd like to take some more pictures to illustrate the schema with Add-a-circuit, maybe side-by-side comparison photos to OEM fuseholder, and a usual location where one can tuck the SmartTop module.

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
IS this similar to the SLK280 install?
Yes, except there's a rubber crankcase breather hose to remove (located at the front of the backpiece, will be seen when the front piece is removed) and you use a flathead screwdriver to release the wire clamp located at the back of the backpiece, before you're able to lift the air filter box. There's no plastic tie to cut (wire harness anchor) unlike the 55 engine.

Reactions: Eduardo
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.