81 - 100 of 124 Posts

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
2,304 Posts

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
So fuse F59 and F60 in front SAM deliver the current to the ESP module.... So we have a possible culprit between them and the ESP module... I might need to peel off some insulation tape off the wire bundle and check.

Ever so thankful for all contributions I get here!

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
2,304 Posts
So fuse F59 and F60 in front SAM deliver the current to the ESP module.... So we have a possible culprit between them and the ESP module... I might need to peel off some insulation tape off the wire bundle and check.

Ever so thankful for all contributions I get here!
Where are those fuses located - in the SAM or one of the other fuse locations? With your volt meter connected and keeping an eye on it you will want to first wiggle those fuses, then the wires connected on the back side of the fuse location, and then along the run of wires to the module. Sometimes, any of this type of wiggle will temporarily correct the problem and make it seem like there is no issue.

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK350
4,623 Posts
The odd thing is that after battery reset the module is visible again.
So a hard reset ( disconnecting the battery ) will fix the problem, in Vediamo you can do that for each module, in this way you can find out what is the module with the problem.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
2,304 Posts
So a hard reset ( disconnecting the battery ) will fix the problem, in Vediamo you can do that for each module, in this way you can find out what is the module with the problem.
That does hint at a possible SAM issue.

·
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
It's not even necessary to disconect the battery - you only need to unplug and replug the connector to the ESP-module.

·
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
I really wish I had the competence that is needed here.... I am willing to learn, but the learning curve here is very steep. Struggling with every stepo_O

Where are those fuses located - in the SAM or one of the other fuse locations? With your volt meter connected and keeping an eye on it you will want to first wiggle those fuses, then the wires connected on the back side of the fuse location, and then along the run of wires to the module. Sometimes, any of this type of wiggle will temporarily correct the problem and make it seem like there is no issue.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
2,304 Posts
If I were having this issue, when the fault appears I would check to see if there is voltage to the ESP at where you have identified the power supplies. If no power, then you know the issue is originating with the front SAM. It is either not sending current or there has been a voltage drop due to damage wires or connectors or such. So, at that point confirm whether there is voltage at either side of the fueses. Power is needed on both sides of the fuses. If there is power at the fuses, then you know the voltage is not getting to the ESP so that tells you there is likely a problem with damaged wires or connectors or such. If there is no voltage at the fuses then that is likely telling you the SAM is not doing its job of sending voltage to the ESP.

I have to say, the shop that replaced the ESP for you and saw that the old ESP module also was not alive (no communication) should have stopped at that point and trouble traced the issue to see if it was actually a dead module or a power supply issue. This is why just throwing parts at a problem can get real expensive and the issue still not resolved. Us DIYers can end up throwing parts at an issues becasue we have limited experince, trouble shooting skills and equipment. But a professional shop - that is paid for this stuff, should and be expected to do this.

·
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
I am with you, but they did mange (the indy) to program the module after the installation. And it did work fine for 700 miles. Once again, the unit works fine, while once reset.

·
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Installing a new unit needs programming with DAS. They did that. Otherwise I am lost.

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK350
4,623 Posts
Yes, but having the same issue with a new unit tells us that the problem is not the unit.
In das you can test the power for terminal 30 while you drive and can see when the fault is present what is the voltage doing ( need to be between 11.0 and 14.5v ) any spike you will be able to see it. Same for terminal 87

Went on my car and made you this video

·
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Absolutely outstanding, Thank you i860!

Yes, but having the same issue with a new unit tells us that the problem is not the unit.
In das you can test the power for terminal 30 while you drive and can see when the fault is present what is the voltage doing ( need to be between 11.0 and 14.5v ) any spike you will be able to see it. Same for terminal 87

Went on my car and made you this video

81 - 100 of 124 Posts