Mercedes SLK World banner

61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Yes, they did that after they changed to the new ESP-module. Now when the error came back, they can't see it anymore. It was coded correctly, I could drive the car error free for 700 miles.

On the old ESP-module, it was the same - they could not read/access it.

In das you must see the module, with all information HW, year version etc.
Did they code the module properly?

·
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Thanks to mchild I could see the connectors in the plug an what they represent. It seems that no 1, 16, 32 and 47 (see above pic) is either 2,5 mm2 or 4,0 mm2 - indicating that they are for the power supply. All others are 0,5 or 0,75 mm2.

Question: as I didn't see any voltage there with ignition in level 2 (both before and after battery reset), do I need to run the motor to see voltage there? If so, can it be done, i.e. plug removed and no harm to the car?

·
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Tomorrow I will check the 16 and 47, as they are connected to W9, wich is the ground (earth) connector close to the left headlamp. Good to know, that I can't have any voltage out of the connector there;-)

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
2,291 Posts
Thanks to mchild I could see the connectors in the plug an what they represent. It seems that no 1, 16, 32 and 47 (see above pic) is either 2,5 mm2 or 4,0 mm2 - indicating that they are for the power supply. All others are 0,5 or 0,75 mm2.

Question: as I didn't see any voltage there with ignition in level 2 (both before and after battery reset), do I need to run the motor to see voltage there? If so, can it be done, i.e. plug removed and no harm to the car?
To read the voltage at each connection with the engine running or at least the key in the run position, you should back probe the individual connections while the connection is connected to the module. I use T-pins and connect my multimeter to those pins to take the readings. Pins like there: Amazon.com : 100 Pieces Stainless Steel Wig T-Pins, 53mm/2 inch : Beauty

·
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Did a quick check on the voltage in the connector. I have 12,8 V on both top connectors (1 and 32) with the car just unlocked (no key in the ingnition). This voltage is present when in error mode and also in error free mode. That means that I have power to the N 47-5 at all times.

I also measured (and checked) the earth (ground) and it's firm and OK.

There is no need to do a battery reset to get out of the error mode - I just removed the connector and put it back. So now it's a bit easier and quicker to reset the car. Always something...:p

What remins now? Can-bus error? I can see in the wiring diagram mchild sent me, that it's pin 11 for can CH and pin 15 for can CL. Is there anyway to test them, apart from DAS? The problem, as I see it, is that DAS doesn't "see" the ESP-module when the car is in error mode.

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK350
4,593 Posts
Take a look here, i attached all the values for you to check

Attachments

·
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I checked the can pin 11 to can pin 15 and got 60 Ohms. I should be 120 Ohms. Not a very big difference, but could it be the culprit?

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK350
4,593 Posts
  • High Speed CAN offers baud rates from 40 Kbit/s to 1 Mbit/sec, depending on cable length. This is the most popular standard for the physical layer, since it allows for simple cable connection between devices. This is the physical standard used in the DeviceNet and CANopen specifications. High speed CAN networks are terminated with 120 ohm resistors on each end of the network.
  • Low Speed/Fault Tolerant CAN offers baud rates from 40 Kbit/s to 125 Kbits/sec. This standard allows CAN bus communication to continue in case of a wiring failure on the CAN bus lines. In low speed/fault tolerant CAN networks, each device has its own termination.
To do it well you have to have the bus without communication since if there is voltage, it detracts from the measurement (the polymer removes the resistance by measuring the voltage drop)

So you disconnect esp module when you measure or esp is still plug in?

·
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I disconnected the plug from the esp.

• High Speed CAN offers baud rates from 40 Kbit/s to 1 Mbit/sec, depending on cable length. This is the most popular standard for the physical layer, since it allows for simple cable connection between devices. This is the physical standard used in the DeviceNet and CANopen specifications. High speed CAN networks are terminated with 120 ohm resistors on each end of the network.
  • Low Speed/Fault Tolerant CAN offers baud rates from 40 Kbit/s to 125 Kbits/sec. This standard allows CAN bus communication to continue in case of a wiring failure on the CAN bus lines. In low speed/fault tolerant CAN networks, each device has its own termination.
To do it well you have to have the bus without communication since if there is voltage, it detracts from the measurement (the polymer removes the resistance by measuring the voltage drop)

So you disconnect esp module when you measure or esp is still plug in?

·
Registered 2007 SLK350
644 Posts
Yesterday I made a scan of my car (R171 350) and printed the results. I enclose it (am working on the car, so faults are known :cool:). No values for ESP just as you have(nt).

CAN resistance..... 60 OHMS is correct. 120 Ohms at each end, in parrallel = 60 ohms

Attachments

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
2,291 Posts
Did a quick check on the voltage in the connector. I have 12,8 V on both top connectors (1 and 32) with the car just unlocked (no key in the ingnition). This voltage is present when in error mode and also in error free mode. That means that I have power to the N 47-5 at all times.

I also measured (and checked) the earth (ground) and it's firm and OK.

There is no need to do a battery reset to get out of the error mode - I just removed the connector and put it back. So now it's a bit easier and quicker to reset the car. Always something...:p

What remins now? Can-bus error? I can see in the wiring diagram mchild sent me, that it's pin 11 for can CH and pin 15 for can CL. Is there anyway to test them, apart from DAS? The problem, as I see it, is that DAS doesn't "see" the ESP-module when the car is in error mode.
I would be looking for power interruption to the module. This could be corroded connections, loose connections, damaged from mice. As just one example, several members here have had mice chew on wheel speed sensor cables. When looking for damaged cables, in addition to mice damage, look for where wires are exposed to vibration and heat. Heat can melt wires and vibration can cause a wear through problem.

·
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
i860, I had the car locked for an hour, just opened the door and bonnet and made the measurement.
How log did you wait before you check the values? Need to wait a while as can is active

Can you check with the esp connected what value you have?
OK, so you can't access the ESP-module in DAS either? Do you have any problems with the system?

Yesterday I made a scan of my car (R171 350) and printed the results. I enclose it (am working on the car, so faults are known :cool:). No values for ESP just as you have(nt).

CAN resistance..... 60 OHMS is correct. 120 Ohms at each end, in parrallel = 60 ohms
Thank you mchild, I will ask the indy to do that. I would have done it myself, but the car is just to low and I don't have any ramp.

I would be looking for power interruption to the module. This could be corroded connections, loose connections, damaged from mice. As just one example, several members here have had mice chew on wheel speed sensor cables. When looking for damaged cables, in addition to mice damage, look for where wires are exposed to vibration and heat. Heat can melt wires and vibration can cause a wear through problem.

·
Registered 2007 SLK350
644 Posts
No running issues at all.

Some alarms due to battery (car off the road) some for brake fluid (replacing brakes) also have the rear parking sensors removed (new rear bumper as just replaced exhaust) and recently done some work on door mirrors and repaired seat heater. So nothing out of the normal with the scan.

I made my scan to get information about ECUs fitted to my car, so i can play with Vediamo...

·
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Just a question, as I am not too familiar with electric diagrams: How is pin 1 and 32 in N47-5 feed from N10/1 (front SAM)? I can see that it involves pin 1 and 2 with reference to PE 54.21-P-2109TB and PE 54.21-P-2109TC - which I understand is the gear shifter and - what?

61 - 80 of 104 Posts