Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During a drive today I got the following errors/faults on the car.

1. Speedo stopped working
2. ABS warning light in dash
3. Speedtronic faulty
4. Display faulty
5. Warning for brake wear
6. Tire pressure monitoring out of order
7. No digital speedo
8. Driving computers just showing time and nothing else
9. Servo steering turned heavy

and the most peculiar of all - outside temp showing 0,0 deg C.

Tried to read the codes with a simple OBD-reader. Absolute nothing was shown. Did a battery reset and the codes where gone and I could get out of Park with gear shifter. 500 meters later the same issue. Restarting the car shows "No Malfunktion" for 3 seconds, then we are back to the same thing. Have to use the release button the get the car out of Park.

MB dealer said it's the battery, but thats not the issue. I would had to wait for 3 weeks before they could take a look at the car, so I took it to an Indy and they says it's the ESP control module - at least to 90% certainly.

They will change it later this week or beginning of next week. Let's see it that does it - othervise I would have blown 1.000.- USD + labour.

What do you think? All exept the outside temp reading points to things that involve monitoring of speed and managment of that. Or?

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,311 Posts
Outside temp
Is the probe still in the grill by fog lamp?

Rest, first instinct would be battery with so many issues.
We know from others that a poor battery causes a host of electrical issues.

Scan shows nothing?
Did either garage use SDS scan?

And our expert on this sort of thing
@Dave2302

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,507 Posts
Battery for sure.....all those electronic gremlins!!! how old is your battery? don't know? get a new one asap

·
Registered 2012 SLK250 CDI
231 Posts
Got to be worth putting a meter on the car to see what voltage is there, a cheap and easy test to start with!

·
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Outside temp is weird - 0,0 deg C is the freezing point and it's +8 deg C here now.

Battery is 2 years old and doing fine. Just went out and measured 12,5 V.

The Indy is a MB-indy and he has the all correct tools. The scan took 10 minutes, but I didn't get the codes.

·
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, the charging is OK (close to 14 V when starting, then dropping slowly to some 13+ V

·
Registered 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
2,627 Posts
I'd need to see the SDS Print Out before I comment ;)

·
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't want to ask him for that, he was a bit busy. Just happy he could scan the car. ESP control module - msot likely. And all the issues in point 1 to 9 are refering to speed readings, as far as I understand.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,311 Posts
We don't want you playing parts darts if there is no need.
Having the codes helps to avoid that cost.

Just in case.
Parts darts, randomly throwing new parts at car only to find it was a part costing next to nothing.

·
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyway, I did change the battery, just in case......... and the faults stayed away during a 10 km trip. I am totally amazed, can a battery die in a running car? And then show full voltage afterwards? When the faults first appeared I had driven the car for 20 km from start.

I am not convinced that it was the battery, but hopfylly or hopfylly not, it will show in time. But can I trust the car now?

Many thanks for your inputs before!

·
96,507 Posts
a dead or dying cell, even one out of 6, can fool one into believing the battery is still good. time will tell
when you say change the battery, you put in a new one or just swapped one battery for another, in unknown condition?

·
96,507 Posts
also remember to synch your windows and change the time on your clock

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
13,230 Posts
When I have my little indicator plugged into the ciggy lighter (I don't know if it's "loaded"), it always shows a minimum of 14.3V when driving. Never as low as 13.

Maybe your alt is starting to fail? If that has any effect? Just a "what if".

·
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The "old" battery was bought and installed just a year ago. It's marked April 2019. The battery that was before that lasted - guess what - just a year. And, yes, I have them on a CTEK during winter.

This battery in the car now is bought today.

The Voltage in the dash shows a stable 14 V (13,9 to 14,1) along time after start. After 45 minutes drive it slowly drops to 13,3 or 13,5.

·
96,507 Posts
My battery when driving starts at about 14.3 as it is charging the battery and then drops to 13.3 etc after a while as the battery charges to 12.6/7

are the batteries u r buying MB batteries? they are warrantied for only 2 years

·
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No MB batteries. Varta and Tudor.

I have heard of battries going dead while driving - in rally cars. Not on a SLK on a Motorway.... and then recover so I could easliy start the car at least 10 times (while trying to clear codes).

·
96,507 Posts
not the expert but as mentioned, a battery with a dead or dying cell, still has 5 cells working as they should, but that one cell can get the electronic gremlins to hold a meeting and next thing you know....what happens happens
my ctek 3.4 has a step that sees if the battery is able to even be charged

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK350
4,623 Posts
The "old" battery was bought and installed just a year ago. It's marked April 2019. The battery that was before that lasted - guess what - just a year. And, yes, I have them on a CTEK during winter.

This battery in the car now is bought today.

The Voltage in the dash shows a stable 14 V (13,9 to 14,1) along time after start. After 45 minutes drive it slowly drops to 13,3 or 13,5.
Maybe the ctek cooks your battery.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts